Friday 22 December 2023

The Christmas Songs Book Tag 2023

I've seen The Christmas Songs Book Tag doing the rounds on a couple of blogs this Christmas, so I'm here to give it a go, too.

There are ten bookish questions based on Christmas songs, and if you want to know who my favourite bookish couples are, what books I love to read over the holidays, and which books I'm looking forward to, keep reading!

1. All I Want For Christmas Is You: Favourite Bookish Couple.

I have so many favourite bookish couples and don't think I can pick just one. I love Cassian and Nesta from ACOTAR; Lorcan and Elide, and Rowan and Aelin from Throne of Glass (and all the other TOG couples- there are so many good ones); Jacks and Evangeline from Once Upon a Broken Heart; Violet and Xaden from Fourth Wing; Casteel and Poppy (and Kieran) from the Blood and Ash books; Jude and Cardan from The Folk of the Air; Nikolai and Zoya from King of Scars; the Crows couples; and... okay, I'll stop now; I could easily keep listing all day!

2. I'll Be Home For Christmas: Name a Book Where a Character is Away From Home (School, Vacation etc).

Midnight in Everwood by M.A. Kuzniar. It's a retelling of The Nutcracker, about a young woman who escapes through a portal in a grandfather clock on Christmas Eve, and finds herself in a magical snow-draped world filled with gingerbread houses, moose-drawn sleighs, and miniature reindeer. Things quickly turn less magical when she's taken prisoner by the cruel king, and is forced to dance day after day until he tires of her. She has to find a way to escape his abuse, but things get complicated when she grows closer to the captain of the guard who is risking his life to keep her safe. It's a magical festive read, so I'd highly recommend it for over the holidays. You can find my review of it here.

3. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Name Your Favourite Little Book (Children's story, short story, novella etc).

I really love How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories by Holly Black from The Folk of the Air Series. It's an illustrated book full of short stories telling several poignant scenes from The Cruel Prince from Cardan's POV, as well as some from his childhood, and a couple after The Queen of Nothing, too. It's such a fun collection of stories, and I love getting the insight into why Cardan did some of the things he did during the series, like forcing Jude and Taryn into the pond, cornering Jude after the warrior trials, and drunkenly riding a horse through the school. It's cute seeing him exploring the mortal world with Jude, too. 

I also love The Assassin's Blade novellas from the Throne of Glass series- especially The Assassin and the Healer, which tells the story of how Celaena and Yrene first met, and The Assassin and the Empire, which painfully counts down to Sam's tragic death, and Celaena being betrayed and sentenced to slavery in the salt mines. I wrote a review of it here.

4. Santa Claus is Coming to Town: What Book(s) Do You Hope Santa Brings You This Year?

I have so many books on my wish list, but I would be especially thrilled to find the Illumicrate Olivie Blake duo of Masters of Death and One For My Enemy under my tree, because they look stunning. I'm also dying to get my hands on the gorgeous new Hunger Games deluxe box set which seems to be sold out everywhere, the Owlcrate edition of Fall of Ruin and Wrath, and the Barnes and Nobles exclusives of Jennifer L Armentrout's Fire in the Flesh series.

5. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Which Book Turned Your Nose Red (Made You Cry)?

I sobbed my heart out during the aftermath of Sam's death in The Assassin's Blade (one of the saddest deaths ever), and through most of Kingdom of Ash- especially the torture and death scenes. I also bawled my eyes out at the end of The Ballad of Never After, and when a beloved character died in Fourth Wing (I'm never getting over it).

6. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Your Favourite Book / Kind of Book to Read During the Holidays.

I love to read festive-themed books during the holidays to get me in the mood for Christmas. I often return to Christmas classics like A Christmas Carol and Little Women, but I've discovered some great fantasy books in the last year that I think will be reread during future Christmases from now on, like Midnight in Everwood and Upon a Frosted Star by M. A. Kuzniar, and A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas.

7. We Three Kings: Your Favourite trilogy.

I'm finding it hard to choose between The Folk of the Air, Shadow and Bone, Once Upon a Broken Heart, and The Hunger Games.

8. Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow: A Character You'd Love to be Snowed in With.

I wouldn't say 'no' to being snowed in with Cassian from ACOTAR. Although, it would also be a lot of fun to be snowed in with Nesta, Emerie, and Gwyn from A Court of Silver Flames- especially in The House of Wind, so we could have a fun grown up sleepover in a library with miniature pegasuses and play dress up in bathtubs full of bubbles but no water. Their sleepover scene was so whimsical, and I loved it!

9. Last Christmas: A Book That Seriously Let You Down.

The only book I can really think of from recent years is Femlandia by Christina Dalcher. I usually love her books and was looking forward to it for ages, but it was no where near as good as the others. It was about a sinister women-only feminist commune and the extreme ways they went about ensuring they only had female babies, and it was pretty disturbing. And dull. And the man-hating was too much to be enjoyable, even as a piece of fiction. Would not recommend it.

10. White Christmas: An Upcoming Release You're Dreaming About.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel to The Stolen Heir, The Prisoner's Throne by Holly Black, which comes out in March. And also Crescent City three, House of Flame and Shadow by Sarah J Maas, which is set to be released next month. I haven't even read the first two books yet (I'm planning to after Christmas), but I can't wait for the ACOTAR cross over! 

And that's The Christmas Songs Book Tag!

If you're reading this and want to take part in the tag on your own blog, consider yourself tagged. Be sure to leave me a link to your post in the comments so I can read your answers!

What's your favourite book to read over the holidays?

You Might Also Like

The Christmas Day Tag

The Ultimate Christmas Tag

The Festive Christmas Book Tag

The Winter Tag

The Jingle All The Way Christmas Tag

The Christmas Book Tag

A Christmas Tag

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig