Sunday 24 December 2023

Currently at Christmas

Happy Christmas Eve!

I can't believe it's already here. This month has gone so fast.

I have one last festive post I want to squeeze in before I log off for Christmas, so let's do this.

It's been over six months since I last did one of these Currently posts, so it seems like the perfect time for a catch up. And since it's December, let's make it festive.

This is what I've been up to lately:

Reading

I wanted to read lots of festive books this month, but so far I've only found the time for a reread of A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas, and three quarters of Upon a Frosted Star by M.A. Kuzniar. It's Swan Lake meets The Great Gatsby, and the writing is so beautiful, and giving off Caraval and The Night Circus vibes. I'm loving it so far- it's so gorgeous, sad, and romantic. (And I'm not one for romance books at all). I'm still hoping to fit in The Nutcracker this Christmas, but also wanted to read The Penguin Book of Christmas Stories, and reread Little Women, Midnight in Everwood, and A Christmas Carol before the month was through. I never find quite as much time to read in December, and often end up dozing off when I do as Christmas wears me out, so I guess most of them will have to keep for another year.

Besides seasonal books, I have read lots of great evergreen books over the last couple of months, too. I flew through the entire Blood and Ash series, adored A Curse for True Love, got completely lost in Iron Flame, and fell in love with Legends and Lattes when I read it earlier in the month. Would recommend them all. I've read a few others as well, but these were my favourites from recent months.

Watching

Over the last couple of weeks, I've broken out the Christmas movies and TV shows, and am trying to work my way through my favourites. So far I've watched Santa Claus the Movie, The Muppets Christmas Carol, The Santa Clause, While You Were Sleeping, Home Alone 1 & 2, Little Women (1994), Meet Me in St. Louis, Miracle on 34th Street, The Snowman, Love Actually, The Holiday, the Little Women BBC mini series, The Gavin and Stacey Christmas specials, and The Vicar of Dibley's 'Merry Christmas' episode (the one where Geraldine dives head first into the chocolate fountain and then gets drunk before Christmas mass). I've also had Christmas cooking shows on in the background, and have been watching some non-festive stuff, too, including Neighbours, Faraway Downs, and a Lost rewatch. (I'm currently on season five). No doubt I'll be watching lots of festive TV with the family over the next few days, too.

Listening

I've been listening to all the usual Christmas songs while getting ready for Christmas, and of course, Ronan Keating's Winter Songs album has also been played a lot lately. (Old habits die hard). It wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Stitching

I've just gone back to cross stitching the little Satsuma Street retro baubles I began a year or two ago. I'm only on the third one, and still have another four to go. 

Playing

It'll come as no surprise that I've been enjoying the seasonal content in Animal Crossing when I've found a spare second to play. I love the festive additions to the game so much. I've been busy building pink Christmas rooms in my main character's house, have added Christmas wreaths to all the doors of my villagers' houses, started putting out festive furniture on my island, and have been dressing my characters in the cutest Christmas outfits. It's such a cute game to play at Christmas time if you like cosy sim games. I've been playing it for almost four years, and I still love it!

Painting

It's been a few weeks since I last picked up a paint brush, but I recently started colourising the awesome Throne of Glass colouring book. I wanted to try some festive painting this year, but all the present wrapping has aggravated the spinal pain in my neck, so I've not been able to bend over a colouring book to try. *Sad face.*

Writing

I finally wrote my Christmas cards a couple of weeks ago while watching The Santa Clause. I went with these colourful cards by Tache from TK Maxx. The designs are so fun.

Wrapping

I also managed to get all of my Christmas presents wrapped by mid-month (including the dog's). I actually started wrapping them in November, and did them in small batches to try to make it easier on my back. If you have chronic pain, staggering your wrapping definitely helps! I spent a couple of hours last Sunday adding red and white twine and candy canes to them, and now they're done I feel much more organised. This year's wrapping paper is covered in gingerbread men using cups of cocoa like hot tubs, and I got it from Zazzle when it was half off. It's not cheap, but I couldn't resist.

Decorating

I decorated my bedroom for Christmas about ten days into the month, and it feels so festive and cosy with all the fairy lights and retro decorations up. I have a small real tree on what is normally my dressing table, loads of retro deer ornaments, and lots of other decorations dotted about. We also finally managed to put the decorations up in the living room on Wednesday, so the house is looking so festive now.

Loving

Seeing all the houses and town centres decorated for Christmas. We went for a drive to spot Christmas lights the other night, and there are so many good ones this year. I love how Christmas lights brighten up the long winter nights.

Liking

How my bedroom currently smells strongly of pine from the Christmas tree. It smells so good!

Enjoying

Getting ready for Christmas. I always enjoy all the fun little activities we do in the lead up to Christmas to prepare for it- wrapping presents, hanging decorations, shopping for treats etc- even if my body protests a lot these days.

Needing

To dress the mantle with fir branches and pine cones. (I've been waiting for the greenery from the garden to dry, so I'll have to do a last minute job today).

And some rest and a decent night's sleep because I've not been sleeping, and I'm shattered.

Wanting

To find the Loungefly Lady and the Tramp mini backpack, the Hunger Games deluxe box set, and the Illumicrate Olivie Blake book set under the tree this Christmas. Please Santa; I've been very good this year. *Cough cough.*

Wishing

I could get out and about more, and had someone to do all the fun festive things with. Christmas isn't so fun when there's no one to enjoy it all with.

Eating 

Far too many Reese's peanut butter Christmas trees and Cadbury praline chocolate Puds. And a couple of Christmas Doughnut Time doughnuts. Why are Christmas treats so much tastier than regular treats?

Drinking

I've had a couple of Costa hot chocolates delivered lately, which has been lovely as I hadn't had one in years. Their signature hot chocolate is my favourite, but last time, I tried the Terry's Chocolate Orange one and it was sooo good. Would recommend.

Looking

forward to a lovely Christmas with my family. We're having a family Christmas buffet this afternoon, and a quiet Christmas Day at home, but I can't wait to enjoy lots of good food, Christmas movies, and maybe even a board game or two together over the next couple of days. And most of all, I'm just looking forward to having a spare second to relax!

And that's my life lately in a nut shell.

I hope you have a fantastic Christmas how ever you're celebrating, or a lovely week / other religious holiday if you're not. Eat, drink, and be merry, and have an extra slice of cake for me. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, guys!

What are your plans for Christmas?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig