Monday 4 December 2023

Midnight in Everwood by M. A. Kuzniar Christmas Book Review

Last Christmas, I read a wonderful grown-up retelling of The Nutcracker called Midnight in Everwood by M.A. Kuzniar, but since I didn't finish it until after Christmas, I never managed to review it on the blog. And honestly, that's just not on. 

It's a magical festive read to get lost in during cold December nights, so I wanted to tell you guys about it so you can enjoy the experience, too. I've had this review waiting in my drafts for a whole year now, so it's time to dust it off, and introduce you to the world of Celesta.

Book Title: Midnight in Everwood

Author: M.A. Kuzniar

Genre: YA Fantasy

Plot:

'Sometimes the easy path is harder than one might ever imagine.'

Midnight in Everwood is a beautifully-descriptive, gothic reimaging of The Nutcracker about a young woman in Edwardian times being forced to give up her dreams of becoming a professional ballet dancer to marry a man of her parents choosing. Marietta feels trapped, and on Christmas Eve, when Drosselmeier, the curious toymaker her parents want her to marry, turns predatory the moment he gets her alone, she retreats into the grandfather clock in his theatre set and is amazed to find a portal to another world. Marietta has no choice but to escape through the clock, and finds herself in a magical but dangerous wintry world full of sugar and snow, gingerbread houses and elaborate balls, moose-pulled sleighs and miniature reindeer. This enchanting, snow-draped land appears like a winter wonderland at first, but then Marietta finds herself taken before the king, who covets rare delights, and with no ballet dancing in Everwood, she's forced to dance for his entertainment until he tires of her. Marietta soon discovers she cannot leave, and as days turn into weeks and his abuse increases, she realises she must find a way to escape the king's clutches with her fellow captives, Dellara and Pirlipata, before his cruelty wears them all into the ground. But when she develops feelings for the handsome guard risking his life to keep her alive, will Marietta be able to ignore her heart, and escape when the time comes? Or will she be trapped in the castle and forced to dance for the cruel king forever?

Thoughts:

It was a slow starter for me and I almost gave up on it, but I'm so glad I didn't. Once Marietta escaped into Everwood, and the story had more to offer than the droning talk of ballet dancing and Edwardian societal expectations, the book came alive into something magical; a dark fairytale world I found myself getting completely lost in. 

Overlooking the king's cruelty towards Marietta and everyone else in his kingdom, the world of Everwood was enchanting, and the author's world-building was sublime. It pulled you right into every scene as if you were really there wandering through a village of gingerbread houses or tasting sugared snowflakes on your lips. It made me want to wrap up warm and go travel through a snow-draped landscape in a moose-drawn sleigh.

At the same time, I found the story too over-descriptive at times, and if I never have to hear the word 'gossamer' again, it'll be too soon. It was slipped into the story so often, it felt like it was on every other page. I began to wonder if Kuzniar was getting paid each time she used it in the story. 

There were also instances where she suddenly had Marietta considering her own privilege as a rich, straight, white woman when the story didn't call for it, and while I think it's so important for us to recognise our privileges when others aren't awarded the same rights and opportunities, the way it was done felt like the author was trying too hard to make her Edwardian story 'woke.'

Despite these little niggles, I really did enjoy this book. 

Besides the world of Celesta, I particularly loved Marietta as a heroine. I admired her fire, and how she was willing to fight for what she wanted in life, refusing to submit to her parents' plans for her, society's expectations for a woman at the time, or the desires of the predatory man her parents wanted her to marry who wouldn't take 'no' for an answer. I found her personality relatable, particularly how her struggles only stoked her fire and desire for what she wanted most in life, instead of breaking her spirit.

I also enjoyed how her friendship blossomed with Dellara and Pirlipata, and how the three unlikely friends and cellmates worked together as a formidable team to survive and find a way out of their impossible situation. 

Most of all, I loved how Marietta's relationship developed with the grumpy, reserved, but charming Captain Legat during her time in Everwood. He's such an underrated love interest, but I loved him so much. Who doesn't love a slow-burn, enemies-to-lovers storyline with a tall, handsome man in uniform?

Having not yet read the original telling of The Nutcracker, I can't say how it compares, but overall, I thought it was a beautiful winter tale full of wonder. It had just the right amount of romance, friendship, magic and suspense, and with all the talk of Christmas, snow, gingerbread, and miniature reindeer, it's the perfect book to get lost in over Christmas. I'm so tempted to have a reread this December. And you know what? I think I just might.

Rating: 3 stars out of 5.

Have you read Midnight in Everwood yet? What is your favourite book to read over the holidays?

You Might Also Like

A Merry Christmas & Other Christmas Stories by Louisa May Alcott Review

A German Christmas: Festive Tales From Berlin to Bavaria Review

Puffin Classics A Christmas Carol Book Review

A Literary Christmas: An Anthology Book Review   

Noel Streatfeild's Christmas Stories Book Review      

Christmas to Color by Mary Tanana: Adult Christmas Colouring Book Review 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig