Friday 4 December 2020

Puffin Classics A Christmas Carol Clothbound Hardback

 

I can never resist a beautiful book cover, and was powerless to resist the Puffin Classics edition of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, despite already owning two other copies of the book. It's so beautiful and the book is such a classic that I just had to treat myself to a copy to enjoy as we count down to Christmas.

I've been admiring this edition since it was released last autumn in the first collection of clothbound Puffin Classics, which also included Black Beauty, Dracula, The Secret Garden, and The Wizard of Oz, but only recently added it to my collection. I only wish I'd got my hands on a copy sooner.

This edition of A Christmas Carol is a truly stunning hardback, with a festive scarlet clothbound cover  decorated with gold-foil holly leaves, and a scattering of white snowflakes, candles, and bells. The outline of a giant top-hat dominates the front cover- an obvious reference to Scrooge's headwear and the Victorian era in which the novel is set- housing the title and author name in a modern gold font inside. The design continues on the back, with the top hat and text replaced with a famous quote from the book- 'humbug, I tell you- humbug!', which stands out on the bright red cover in large white lettering. The spine also features the same golden holly design with a white top hat and snowflake just off centre, and the book title and author printed in a smaller white type.

Sadly, a couple of letters on my copy's spine have worn away. I'm not sure if it arrived like that, or if I damaged it myself running an anti-bacterial wipe over it when it arrived (Covid paranoia), but I guess it doesn't really affect my reading experience. It's only really noticeable when I'm looking at the book close up. I would just recommend being extra careful with these books as the designs have been embossed on to the covers, and aren't indestructible.      

When you open the book cover, you are greeted with vibrant sky blue end-papers featuring a festive print of white snowflakes and candle sticks. It contrasts beautifully against the bright red book cover, and it's just so cheerful-looking.

If you appreciate a good illustration or just want to share the book with young readers, you'll be pleased to know this edition is also illustrated, with black and white sketches dotted sporadically through the book. It's a lovely addition to an already stunning book, and I think it only adds to the appeal of these beautiful editions.

The story itself is just 126 pages long, and has been printed on good quality cream paper in a reasonably large font so it's a great quick read to devour over the festive season for adults and older children alike. One you can read in a couple of sittings, or stretch out during the run up to Christmas a chapter or two at a time, depending on your reading style or time available.

A Christmas Carol is so well renowned that I don't think I need to tell you what the story is about, but just in case... it's basically about a miserable old money-lender who is visited by three ghosts on Christmas Eve night to help him see the error of his ways and understand what his future will become if he doesn't learn to change. It's a Christmas classic everybody should read at least once, and the perfect book to help you get in to the Christmas spirit. It's a book I return to time and time again, and I can't wait to revisit it this Christmas with this gorgeous edition. 

The Puffin Classics books retail for around £12.99 (although, I bought my copy on Amazon here where it's currently a lot cheaper), and are available from all good book shops now.

Have you read A Christmas Carol yet?    

You Might Also Like

A Literary Christmas: An Anthology Book Review         

Christmas to Color by Mary Tanana: Adult Christmas Colouring Book Review    

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig