Tuesday 24 December 2019

What's In My Christmas Eve Box 2019


Happy Christmas Eve, everyone!

I can't believe it's only more sleep 'til Christmas! Where has this month gone?!

I love Christmas Eve. In some ways I find it more fun and festive than Christmas Day itself. This year, I'll be spending it popping in to town with the sister and brother-in-law for last minute shopping, baking and making my trifle for Christmas Day, munching on a buffet of delicious goodies and watching Christmas films with the family, and hopefully finding the time to make my Christmas crackers because I'm so disorganised this year. I suspect I'm going to run out of spoons by lunch time and spend most of it in bed, though. Haha!

I'm also looking forward to enjoying some of the contents of my Christmas Eve box tonight, and I thought it would be fun to show you what I've put in it this year... but before I do, let's back up for a sec... If you're unfamiliar with the Christmas Eve box (where have you been?), a Christmas Eve box is basically a hamper of goodies to enjoy as you wind down on Christmas Eve and get excited for Christmas morning. Think cosy new pyjamas, slippers, Christmas movies, hot chocolate, tasty snacks, scented candles, a festive-themed book, a face mask... and anything else you might need for the perfect festive night in. 


You could make one for the whole family, for your kids, to enjoy with your partner, or even just for yourself. There are no rules to conform to here; the beauty of the Christmas Eve box is you can personalise it for your needs, and use it however you like. Gift it, share it, or make one for yourself; it's completely up to you! 

The Christmas Eve box is a lovely tradition to add to your Christmas Eve rituals, particularly if you have young kids or have just got married, and are looking to implement some new family traditions you can look forward to every year. It's the perfect way to enjoy a quiet Christmas Eve evening at home, and having a box full of treats to discover should help distract children (or big kids at heart!) from that unbearable longing to open all the presents under the tree during that millenia-long wait for Christmas morning. 

As I'm single and don't have kids, I've just put one together for myself again, but added in plenty of goodies to share with my family, like chocolates, soaps, and Christmas movies. I've been putting the finishes touches to it this week, and now I'm done, I can finally reveal what's inside.


So what have I put in my Christmas Eve Box this year?

♥ A couple of Christmas movies on DVD. I bought a copy of The Nutcracker and the Four Realms as I've never seen it before, and have also added in some old favourites like The Muppets Christmas Carol and Santa Claus The Movie.

♥ A beautiful copy of A Literary Christmas: An Anthology, which is filled with festive prose and poems.

♥ A gingerbread man Christmas cross stitch kit from The Make Arcade to sew in front of the TV.

♥ A cosy pair of Christmas pyjamas. I couldn't afford a new pair this year, so I've just added in an old pair from my collection.

♥ A new Christmas brooch from Erstwilder.

♥ A pair of red heart earrings from Erstwilder to wear over Christmas.

♥ Some Juicy Pear shower gel and body yoghurt from The Body Shop's festive range and a peppermint shower gel from Bath and Body Works so I can smell nice for Christmas.

♥ A couple of Lush Christmas soaps to put by the bathroom sinks to use this Christmas.

♥ A face mask to give my skin a treat.

♥ A couple of Essie nail polishes in festive colours (red and gold glitter) so I can do my nails for Christmas Day.

♥ A couple of Yankee Candle votive candles to make the house smell delicious and feel super cosy.

♥ Some Ferrero Rochers, Lindor Mint Chocolate Truffles and candy canes to enjoy with the family.

♥ A bag of salted popcorn for snacking on while watching Christmas movies.

♥ A Cath Kidston Christmas mug to drink hot chocolates from. (I would've added in hot chocolate, too, but we've ran out so I need to go buy some today).

♥ A pack of pastel film for my Instax mini 9 camera so I can take some fun photos on Christmas Eve / Day.

Here are a few more ideas for things you could include:

♥ Slippers.
♥ Novelty Christmas socks.
♥ A hot water bottle. (And heat patches may be handy if you have a chronic illness or injury!)
♥ Little Christmas craft kits- such as a mini cross stitch kit or felt ornament kit.
♥ A Christmas colouring book and coloured pencils.
♥ Festive stationery.
♥ Christmas false nails or nail wraps.
♥ Seasonal-scented bubble bath.
♥ A Christmas bath bomb.
♥ Hand cream or body lotion.
♥ A cute soft toy.
♥ A Netflix / Amazon Prime gift card / subscription for Christmas movie watching.
♥ A Christmas scratch card.
♥ Something alcoholic.
♥ Marshmallows.
♥ Favourite edible treats.
♥ Mince pies, stollen, panettone, cake, biscuits, cheese boards, etc.
♥ A new Christmas dress / top / shirt etc.
♥ A new ornament to hang on the tree.
♥ A Christmas stocking so you can hang it up ready for Santa.
♥ A bag of reindeer food.
♥ A selection of Christmas books (for younger readers), a novel for adults.
♥ Little toys.
♥ A special plate for Santa's mince pie.



I wasn't able to source a pretty Christmas Eve box this year as I'm on a tight budget this Christmas, so once again I've just presented everything in a slightly-festive-looking storage box I already owned. If you have got the means for buying the perfect Christmas Eve box, you could use a box, wicker basket, gift bag, Christmas stocking, crate, festive tote bag, or any container you like. If you're giving it as a gift, I'd recommend wrapping everything up in festive wrapping paper or tissue to make it look pretty and add to the fun and excitement, but you can leave everything unwrapped if the thought of wrapping any more presents is making you shudder. 



If you want to go all out, there are so many ways you could then decorate your Christmas Eve box, from adding the recipient's name using stamps or individual letters, to embellishing it with pom poms, garlands, or little decorations. The possibilities are endless. I haven't decorated mine as the box I've used is actually my memory box and needs to be refilled after Christmas, but one of these days I'm going to have to try something more creative.


I have to say, I'm really looking forward to enjoying the contents of my Christmas Eve box tonight. I always find these boxes make my Christmas Eve evenings so lovely and relaxing, which is always welcome after such a hectic month. I'm looking forward to changing in to my festive PJs, watching a few Christmas movies with my family, indulging in a few treats, and snuggling up with my book before I fall off to sleep in the early hours of Christmas morning. Ah, I can't wait!

Whether you have your own Christmas Eve Box to enjoy tonight or not, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Eve with your family and friends whatever you have planned, and an even happier Christmas Day! Merry Christmas, everyone!

Have you made a Christmas Eve Box for anyone this year? What goodies would make up your perfect box?

You Might Also Like
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig