Wednesday 19 December 2018

DIY Christmas Eve Box 2018




Christmas Eve Boxes have become increasingly popular with people of all ages over the last few years, with more and more people putting one together to enjoy with their families on Christmas Eve.

If you're unfamiliar with the Christmas Eve box (where have you been?), a Christmas Eve box is basically a hamper of goodies to enjoy as you wind down on Christmas Eve and get excited for Christmas morning. Think cosy new pyjamas, slippers, Christmas movies, hot chocolate, tasty snacks, scented candles, a festive-themed book, a face mask, glittery nail polish... and anything else you might need for the perfect festive night in. 

You could make one for the whole family, for your kids, to enjoy with your partner, or even just for yourself. There are no rules to conform to here; the beauty of the Christmas Eve box is you can personalise it for your needs, and use it however you like. Gift it, share it, or make one for yourself; it's completely up to you!

The Christmas Eve box is a wonderful tradition to add to your Christmas Eve rituals, particularly if you have young kids or have just got married, and are looking to implement some new family traditions you can look forward to every year. It's the perfect way to enjoy a quiet Christmas Eve evening at home, and having a box full of treats to discover should help distract children from that unbearable longing to open all the presents under the tree and the agonising Millenia-long wait for Christmas morning. 



As I can't travel to my family's Christmas Eve party anymore, and now spend Christmas Eve at home, I've been creating a box to enjoy each Christmas for three or four years now. I'm single and don't have kids, so I mostly just compile them for myself, but I also fill them with a few things to share with my family, like chocolates truffles and hot chocolate. I've been putting the finishing touches to this year's Christmas Eve box this week, so I thought it was about time I showed you what I've put in it this year.



So, what have I put in my Christmas Eve box this year?

♥ A new pair of Christmas pyjamas to cosy up in on Christmas Eve night.

♥ A couple of Christmas movies to watch. And yes, Santa Claus the Movie and The Muppet Christmas Carol are the best Christmas movies ever!

♥ A new festive book- A Literary Christmas- to read before I fall off to sleep. It's full of Christmas stories, passages, poems, and illustrations from the greats.

♥ Yankee Candle votives in Frosty Gingerbread and Snowflake Cookie to make the house cosy and smell delicious.

♥ A tub of peppermint hot chocolate for everyone to enjoy.

♥ A new Cath Kidston snowman print mug for my hot chocolate.

♥ Some chocolates, including Mint Lindor Truffles and Ferrero Rochers (my faves) to share with my family.

♥ Some peppermint candy canes to share around.

♥ A bag of salted popcorn for enjoying while we watch Christmas movies.

♥ A glittery gold Ciaté nail polish so I can make my nails look pretty for Christmas Day. I'm also intending on using one of the red polishes from my OPI Advent calendar.

♥ A L'Oreal Clay Mask so I can pamper myself ready for Christmas Day.

♥ A Peppermint Candy Cane shower gel and  body butter from The Body Shop to make myself smell like a candy cane.

♥ A Body Shop Peppermint Candy Cane soap to put out for the rest of the festive season.

I will likely also add a small Christmas cross stitch to work on while I relax at the end of the day, but I forgot to add one to the box for photos.



Here are a few more ideas for things you could include:

♥ Slippers.
♥ Novelty Christmas socks.
♥ A hot water bottle. (And heat patches may be handy if you have a chronic illness or injury!)
♥ Festive costume jewellery, such as novelty earrings or brooches.
♥ Little Christmas craft kits- such as a mini cross stitch kit or felt ornament kit.
♥ A Christmas colouring book and coloured pencils.
♥ Festive stationery.
♥ Christmas false nails or nail wraps.
♥ Seasonal-scented bubble bath.
♥ A Christmas bath bomb.
♥ Hand cream or body lotion.
♥ A cute soft toy.
♥ A Netflix / Amazon Prime gift card / subscription for Christmas movie watching.
♥ A Christmas scratch card.
♥ Something alcoholic.
♥ Marshmallows.
♥ Favourite edible treats.
♥ Mince pies, stollen, panettone, cake, biscuits, cheese boards, etc.
♥ A new Christmas dress / top / shirt etc.
♥ A new ornament to hang on the tree.
♥ A Christmas stocking so you can hang it up ready for Santa.
♥ A bag of reindeer food.
♥ A selection of Christmas books (for younger readers), a novel for adults.
♥ Little toys.
♥ A special plate for Santa's mince pie.

I'm on a tight budget this Christmas so I've presented everything in a festive gift box I already had lying around the house, but you could also use a wicker basket, gift bag, Christmas stocking, crate, festive tote bag, or any container you like. If you're giving it as a gift, I'd recommend wrapping everything up in festive wrapping paper or tissue to make it look pretty and add to the fun and excitement, but you can leave everything unwrapped if the thought of wrapping any more presents is making you shudder. 



There are so many ways you could then decorate your Christmas Eve box, from adding the recipient's name using stamps or individual letters, to embellishing it with pom poms, garlands, or little decorations. The possibilities are endless. I haven't decorated mine as the box I've used is actually my memory box and needs to be refilled after Christmas, but I admit I was tempted to go to town on it! 



I'm really looking forward to enjoying the contents of my Christmas Eve box in a few days time. I always find these boxes make my Christmas Eve evenings that little bit lovelier and are perfect for creating a relaxing night in, which is always welcome after such a hectic month. I'm looking forward to getting in to my festive PJs, watching a few Christmas movies with my family, indulging in a few treats, and reading a few chapters of my new book before I fall off to sleep in the early hours of Christmas morning. Bliss. Christmas Eve can't come soon enough! 

Will you be making a Christmas Eve box this year? What goodies would make up your perfect box?

P.S. Please excuse how atrocious today's photos are. I know they're beyond awful. The left half of my laptop screen keeps flickering and turning grey, so I'm finding the editing process even harder than usual. I'm awful at photo editing as it is, so they can't be good! Sorry, guys!

You Might Also Like
What's In My Christmas Eve Box? 2016
What's In My Christmas Eve Box? 2015
What's In My Christmas Eve Box? 2014
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig