Thursday 20 December 2018

DIY Retro Reindeer Christmas Cross Stitch From Mid Century Maude


I planned to do so many fun crafts this Christmas and share lots of DIYs on the blog, but I've been so ill this December, I've barely been able to do any of them. All of my chronic illnesses decided to flare up at once as soon as December 1st arrived, which I'm 99.9% sure was due to Christmas stress, and at the beginning of the month the arthritis in my hands got so bad, my fingers swelled up to twice their usual size, which has never happened before. My fingers were so contorted and the pain was so excruciating, I could barely use my hands for around ten days, which meant I lost a lot of crafting time, and most of my Christmas craft plans have had to go out the window. I'm so annoyed and frustrated with myself for it, even though I know it was beyond my control, and it couldn't be helped. I've already decided that next year I'm going to prepare some of my Christmas crafts and blog posts in the summer so I don't feel like an absolute failure or as stressed as I do right now.

Anyway, my hands are just getting back to 'normal', so I've been trying to catch up with a few easy projects and take photos of a couple of projects I completed earlier this Winter to make up for lost time. 


One of the few projects I have completed this Christmas is this retro reindeer Christmas cross stitch, which I stitched back in November. I bought and downloaded the pattern from Mid Century Maude on Etsy here this Autumn after admiring it from afar for a couple of years, and deciding this was the year I was finally going to make it. I'm so glad I did because the mid-century style reindeer design is so cute, and I'm so happy with how it turned out. 

The pattern was reasonably priced at just under a fiver, and the PDF was available to download instantly after purchase, which was pretty much fool-proof. For the most part, I found the chart clear and easy to follow, but I was confused to see 3/4 stiches in the chart, but two different symbols in one square. It didn't take me long to realise they weren't 3/4 stitches at all, but 1/4 stitches, which you'll want to remember if you decide to download it because it will probably leave you scratching your head in confusion. 

It gives you a list of recommended DMC threads to use, but it's up to you if you stick with them, or choose your own shades instead. I used most of the recommended colours, but switched the red and yellow threads for bolder ones, as I found the suggested colours a little wishy-washy for my taste. For the red I used DMC 666 and for the yellow, DMC 743. Looking at the finished design, I wish I had chosen some lighter shades of brown for the deer, too, as I think the recommended shades are a little harsh, but overall, I'm happy with my colour choices. I am considering remaking it in pastel colours, though!

Mid Century Maude designed the pattern on 22 count white aida for a 4 inch hoop, but you can make it using whichever count you prefer. I chose to sew it on 14 count as that's what I had available in my stash. (In cross stitching, the count refers to the number of squares per linear inch of aida (fabric). The larger the number, the more squares there are, and the smaller the stitches and over all design will be). As I used a smaller count, the end result is larger and fits a 7 inch embroidery hoop. 

I decided to finish the hoop by wrapping it in the remaining red thread for an extra pop of colour, and sealed it with a little glue. If you decide to do this, you'll need more than one lock of thread to complete it. The only issue I had with wrapping the hoop is that it was difficult to get enough tension in the aida for framing afterwards, and as hard as I tried, I could not get it as tight as I would have liked. It's not bad, but not perfect. I then finished the back by cinching the aida in with a running stitch, and gluing a circle of felt to the back of the hoop. I usually attach the felt with a blanket stitch, but my fingers weren't up to sewing at the time.

So, overall, I love how this cross stitch turned out. The design is adorable and goes so well with the kitschy Christmas decor in my bedroom. It was such a fun project to work on, and quick and easy to make, too. I couldn't recommend it to you more! If you'd like to give it a go yourself, you can find the pattern on Etsy here.

I'll be showing you some of my other Christmas cross stitch makes a little later this month, so if you've enjoyed reading this, remember to check back!

Have you cross stitched anything so far this Christmas?

You Might Also Like
My Christmas Cross Stitch Makes of 2016
Riverdrift House Christmas Cross Stitch Makes 2015
Riverdrift House Merry Christmas Patchwork Christmas Cross Stitch Sampler
Riverdrift House Noel Peace on Earth Sampler
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig