Wednesday 21 December 2022

Currently at Christmas

Can you believe it's only a few more days 'til Christmas?

I'm not sure where the month has gone, but it doesn't feel like we're nearing the big day. Maybe it's just that I still don't feel festive. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to feel Christmassy at all this year.

Anyway, in an effort to get in to the holiday spirit, I'm here for a catch up, and since it's December, this post is going to be giving off a lot of festive vibes. You have been warned. 

(As always, please excuse the quality of my photos. I'm still stuck using an ancient point-and-shoot with a scratched lens, and the quality is awful).

This is what I've been up to:

Reading

I intended to spend all month reading Christmas-themed stories, but I failed at that from day one. I began reading The Cruel Prince at the end of November, and became so hooked on it, I just couldn't wait a month to read The Wicked King, and of course, when I finished that, I had to dive right in to The Queen of Nothing. I. Am. Obsessed. The Folk of the Air series is amazing, and it's without a doubt one of the best book series' I've ever read. I think I might even love these books more than the Shadow and Bone books- and you all know how much I adore those. The Folk of the Air is a dark YA fantasy series, set in a magical Faerie land, with a morally-grey mortal heroine, a cruel but loveable faerie prince / king, battles, curses, murder, the best group of spies, and a little bit of romance and seduction. The magical world of Faerie is enchanting, and I love Jude becoming bad-ass with power and shamelessly murdering anyone who gets in her way; and poor, damaged Cardan who starts off cruel and detestable, but who's really a funny, mischievous sweetheart who just wants to be loved. His backstory is one of the saddest things I've ever heard, and the way his family neglected and abused him broke my heart. I hated Lady Asha, Dain, and Balekin so much... but maybe not as much as I hated Locke and Taryn. Even if she redeemed herself a little in the last book. I'm sad the main series is over for me now as all three books were so good, but I'm looking forward to reading the companion book of short stories, How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories, and the new book, The Stolen Heir, which comes out next month. Just read them all, promise?

Aside from getting lost in Faerie, I have read some Christmas stories this December. I've been slowly making my way through A German Christmas: Festive Tales from Berlin to Bavaria, a short story or two at a time. It's a book of classic festive short stories written by German, Austrian, and Swiss writers, and they're charming. I've also just started Midnight in Everwood by M.A. Kuzniar, which is supposedly a modernisation of The Nutcracker.

Watching

I've watched some Christmas movies so far this month, but not as many as I would normally have by this stage of the festive season. I just can't seem to get in to the mood for Christmas this year, and that's really unusual for me. I'm not sure why I'm not feeling it this year. Maybe it's just because I've barely done any of the big festive activities at all yet? Who knows. Anyway, this month, I've been watching Home Alone, Home Alone 2, The Holiday, Santa Claus the Movie, The Muppets Christmas Carol, While You Were Sleeping, The Santa Clause, and Meet Me in St. Louis. And I've also been enjoying Kirstie's Handmade Christmas, and a couple of Christmas specials.

Listening

The Christmas tunes have been broken out. I've been playing all the usual festive classics, listening to some Christmas songs on Magic radio most weekday mornings, and have had Ronan's Winter Songs album on repeat. Old habits never die.

Playing

When I've had a little spare time in the evenings, I've been winding down with Animal Crossing New Horizons to enjoy the festivities in game. I haven't built anything exciting since I'm recollecting the recipes and haven't got all my festive furniture yet, but I'm having fun collecting them all, making snowmen, and enjoying the pretty fairy lights in the trees. Here's a very pink Christmas home I built in ACNH Happy Home Paradise a few months ago.

Stitching

I haven't found much time to sew lately. I'm still working on the Satsuma Street retro bauble designs I showed you in my last 'currently' post, and haven't done loads since then. I'm hoping to work on them a bit more this week, but I'm unlikely to get them finished in time for Christmas.

Wrapping

I've thankfully got all of my presents wrapped already, apart from the few that haven't been delivered yet. I actually started wrapping in October to take some of the pressure off, and have just wrapped everything else as I've bought them, and it's been a huge help. It's really made a difference to my pain levels this December, so I'm glad I did this. This year, I bought the loveliest snail mail wrapping paper from Gabi & Gaby, and wrapped them with pastel pink and blue satin ribbons from Hobbycraft.

Writing

I surprised myself by getting all my cards written and sent / given out at the start of the month, instead of at the last minute. Miracles do happen. This year's cards were from Whistlefish.

Buying

Most of my money has been spent on presents, but a few Christmas Erstwilder brooches and earrings may have been bought last month, and several books may have also jumped in to my basket lately. Including a few gorgeous editions from Owlcrate in the Black Friday sale. I'll be sure to review those ones once they arrive.

Enjoying

Accessorising all my outfits with Christmas brooches and earrings, and counting down the days to Christmas with my Essie nail polish Advent calendar. It's the little things...

Loving

Seeing all the pretty Christmas lights everywhere, brightening up the dark winter evenings. Christmas lights make everything better. Fact.

Liking

Filling my days with Christmas-themed activities. They're much more fun than regular-themed activities.

Needing

Some sleep and a good rest. Preparing for Christmas is tiring work. Roll on Boxing Day, when I can finally relax again.

Wanting

A lovely Christmas with my family, and to find lots of pretty books under the tree this year.

Wishing

I could've got out and about to do all the fun festive things, and had someone to enjoy them all with. I've missed out on all the fun holiday activities like Christmas light switch ons, Christmas markets, browsing decorations in the garden centre, Christmas parties... basically all of it, and it sucks. Okay, maybe I don't care so much about missing Christmas parties, but I wanted to do all the rest. Sometimes I resent my health just a little bit. (Do you hear those tiny violins)??

Decorating

I finally decorated my bedroom for Christmas at the end of last week. I got a potted tree from Tesco's the week before, but I hadn't been feeling great pain-wise, and couldn't find where my Mum had hidden a box of my decorations, so I started really late this year. I've got a tree up with all my presents wrapped underneath, retro deer ornaments dotted around, hoop art on the wall, Christmas tea lights by my TV, and I've even hung some decorations from my white-twig Easter tree. My bedroom basically looks like Christmas threw up on it, and I'm so proud. We still haven't put up the tree in the living room, though. 

Eating

A Christmas Doughnut Time doughnut or two might have come home with me last time I was in town. They have a brand new shop in the Westgate in Oxford, so it would've been rude not to visit it when I was out Christmas shopping. That same day, I also got to experience Popeye's for the first time, who have also just opened a restaurant in Oxford. I didn't know what to expect, but it was surprisingly tasty.

And... that's basically December so far in a (very long) nut shell.

What fun Christmas activities have you been up to lately? Are you all ready for Christmas yet?

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Wishing you a lovely Christmas Louise! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Kezzie! I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas and New Year, too. xx

      Delete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig