Thursday 29 November 2018

Currently | November 2018


It's been a few months since I last sat down and wrote a 'currently' post about what I've been doing and enjoying lately, so I think it's about time I rectified that with a fresh post.

Let's start with what I've been reading lately...


Reading

Over the last few months, I've really found my reading mojo again, and have been devouring books like there's no tomorrow. During September and October, I managed to read seven books, which may not seem like a lot to some people, but it was a lot for me; I can't even remember the last time I read so many books in that space of time- probably more than a decade! To compare, last year, I only managed to read that many books during the whole year! I've read some fantastic books this Autumn, including Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery, The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, The Light of the Fireflies by Paul Pen, and The Extinction Trials, and The Extinction Trials: Exile by S. M. Wilson. Surprisingly, I thoroughly enjoyed every single one of them, especially The Day of the Triffids and The Light of the Fireflies, which have to be two of the best books I've ever read. Would anyone like me to blog reviews of any of them? 

I haven't read much at all this month as I've been so busy and uninspired, but I've just finished reading Desert Flowers by Paul Pen, and it was another one of those books that I just couldn't put down. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.


Watching

I haven't watched a lot of new movies or TV shows lately, as I've been in one of those funks where I just can't concentrate on anything new. I've been enjoying the new series of The Big Bang Theory, and The Secret Life of the Zoo, but apart from watching a few episodes of Vanity Fair, that's about it for TV. I've mostly just been watching reruns of old favourites, and enjoying some of my favourite Autumn and Halloween movies like Hocus Pocus, Scream, War of the Worlds, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, and Practical Magic. I also recently watched the new Jurassic World movie for the first time, and loved it, although it broke my heart when the brachiosaurus was left behind to die in the ash cloud. I don't think my heart will ever recover. I also now need a baby velociraptor! (How cute was baby Blue?!)

Listening

I don't know what's wrong with me at the moment, but I haven't been listening to a lot of music, either. I've listened to a little Fall Out Boy and Linkin Park, as per use, and have played a few Christmas tunes while I've been building some new festive playlists, but I really haven't listened to a lot else. I did purchase Boyzone's new and last ever album 'Thank You and Goodnight' about ten days ago, because I've been a big fan of them since I was nine, and old habits die hard, (hey, don't judge!) but I'm actually really underwhelmed with the album, and don't know what to think about it. They've changed their sound to something akin to R&B and I'm just not feeling it. I'm just not a fan of R&B and modern pop music. Don't get me wrong, there are some great songs on there, but it's just not wowing me. Maybe it'll grow on me?


Stitching

This Autumn, I've been working on another fun, colourful mandala cross stitch from The World in Stitches, and I'm currently over half way through- apart from the black outlines, which I've left for now because I can't decide whether to change them to a different colour. I had to put it aside about a month ago so I could start working on some Christmas designs, but I'm planning to pick it up again in the new year.

Over the last few weeks, I've stitched and finished a small retro fifties deer cross stitch, a Christmas tree ornament, and a Christmas card but you'll have to wait until December to get a look at my festive makes. (Unless you've already seen the deer on my Insta Stories!)

Crafting

I've already made a start on my Christmas crafting, and recently made a Christmas pudding pom pom wreath for the first time. I'll be sharing a tutorial for it next month during Blogmas, so keep your eyes peeled for that! I've also painted a wooden house-shaped shelf unit that I'm going to decorate with Christmas paper / fabric for the holidays, and started working on some felt Christmas wreaths, which I'm hoping to bring to the blog next month, too, but we'll have to wait and see how they turn out first.


Carving

On Halloween, I decided to have a go at carving a sugar skull pumpkin, instead of making a simple Jack o' lantern like I always do. I drew free-hand on to the pumpkin with a picture as a guide, and spent an hour and a half carving this monstrosity, with a lot of difficulty. It turns out that carving pumpkins now aggravates the arthritis in my hands, and wielding a knife just turns my hands in to painful twisted claws. (Think Phoebe Buffay teaching Joey guitar chords, and that's how my hands looked). I couldn't grip the knife properly and made a complete mess of the pumpkin, but at least I tried, right? (I think it would've been better if I hadn't! Haha!) The worst part was I couldn't use my right hand for ten days afterwards as my hand was so painful and contorted, so I guess I'll be adding pumpkin carving to the list of things I can no longer do. How will the world will cope without my 'artistry'?

Buying

With Christmas presents to pay for, I haven't had much cash spare to spend on myself, but I have treated myself to a couple of little things whenever I've earned some extra cash participating in surveys. Over the Black Friday weekend, I treated myself to a couple of Christmas cross stitch kits from The Make Arcade (this one and this one), some fifties-style Christmas bedding from ASDA, and a retro deer Christmas decoration from Paperchase. Over the last few months, I've also bought some Erstwilder Christmas brooches (reviewed here), some new notebooks from Cath Kidston and The Disney Store, and some of The Body Shop's new Peppermint Candy Cane collection, which smells amazing and I can't wait to review it for you next month, I'll be showing you all the festive things I've bought in a Christmas haul post really soon, too.


Receiving

My sister, Marie, came home for a visit at the start of the month bearing gifts from the American air force base she lives at in Germany. This time, she gave me some Halloween Peeps and Pez dispensers, a big bag of 3 Muskateers chocolate bars (they're kind of like Milky Ways), and The Balm Nude Beach eyeshadow palette. She originally gave me this palette for my birthday in July, but we had to return it as it turned out to be a used tester. Sadly, at the time it was out of stock, so I got the equally gorgeous Anastasia Modern Renaissance palette instead. She really didn't owe me another palette, so it was such a lovely surprise and a really kind and thoughtful gesture. The palette is gorgeous! I have the best sisters.


Winning

I've been a really lucky lady lately, and have won a few giveaways over the last couple of months. I won a stationery bundle from Emma of A Cornish Geek, which included a set of pastel highlighters, a rainbow notebook, a folder, and a cloud-shaped pencil case. I'm a bit of a stationery addict, so this was the perfect prize. I then won some gorgeous high-end make up from Rosie Loves Life, including the Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics eyeshadow palette, an Urban Decay After Glow Highlighter, and a Charlotte Tilbury lipstick in Pillow Talk. I'd never tried any of those products before, so I'm still absolutely thrilled with them. I've also just found out that I've won a Selfridges beauty Advent calendar from a Twitter comp ran by Navabi, and I couldn't be more excited! It's something I could never afford to treat myself to, so the news has really made my Christmas. I'm looking forward to counting down to Christmas even more now! I'll do my best to review it for you once it arrives, and will be revealing what product I get each day of Advent on Instagram, along with the contents of my OPI calendar from the 1st, so make sure you give me a follow on Instagram if you want to follow along!



Wanting

All the amazing Christmas jewellery and dresses that are everywhere right now, this retro deer Christmas decoration, the NARS and Ciaté beauty Advent calendars, the Breathe magazine journals, lots of new books, a lotto win, all the gig tickets, and a big slice of chocolate cake.

Needing

Some money so I can afford Christmas, some new ankle boots, some new clothes, a new tub of my favourite The Body Shop Vitamin E moisturiser, new white fairy lights for this year's Christmas tree, a solution for my tachycardia and the painful arthritis in my hands, a holiday, and some hair dye so I can touch up my atrocious roots.

Wishing

I had more hours in the day to prepare for Christmas and Blogmas. Time is moving too fast!

Loving

The new Peppermint Candy Cane collection from The Body Shop- it smells soooo good! You guys need to try it!

Hating

the short hours of daylight, and dark dreary days we've been getting lately. There's not been any decent daylight for taking blog photos for weeks, and some days it's barely felt like we've had any daylight at all. Roll on spring!

Enjoying

Spending the dark, dismal days and evenings working on lots of crafts and blog posts.


Eating

All the American Candy Corn, and Malteaser Buttons.

Drinking

When my sister was visiting a few weeks ago, we finally discovered a Hotel Chocolat cafe in Milton Keynes and stopped off for the most amazing hot chocolate. I'm lactose intolerant, so I couldn't add it to mine, but the cream they put on top is some divine chocolate concoction that tasted like the chocolate icing on a Patisserie Valerie cake. (I obviously had to taste-test Marie's). Even without cream it was probably the best hot chocolate I've ever had. 

Looking

forward to Christmas and enjoying lots of festivities with my family during December. I can't wait to start decorating the tree and my home for Christmas, give my family their gifts, watch lots of Christmas movies, and eat my body weight in roast potatoes and cake! Christmas is the best.

Preparing

I've been busy planning and preparing lots of festive content for Blogmas, and taking festive photos for many of them whenever there's been some decent daylight, so I'm feeling fairly organised for a change. I still have so much work to do and more photos to take, but I can't wait to share what I've been working on with you guys. There'll be a few crafts, a little fashion, some beauty, homeware, books, helpful tips and ideas, and so much more. Not long to go now!

What have you been enjoying lately?

You Might Also Enjoy
Currently | July 2018
Currently | April 2018
Currently | October 2017
Currently | May 2017
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig