Friday 9 November 2018

12 Things I Love About Autumn


I know that we're almost about to transition in to winter and the festive season is almost up on us, but I'm not ready to say "goodbye" to autumn just yet. Before I bombard you with Christmas posts (sorry, not sorry), I thought it would be fun to have one last fling with autumn, and talk about some of my favourite things about the autumn months. 

There are so many great things about this time of year, from the beautiful colours of the foliage to autumn fashion, and fireworks to comfort food, so narrowing down my favourite things about autumn really hasn't been easy. There are countless things I love about this gorgeous season. I couldn't talk about all of them or we'd be here all day, so I've chosen twelve at random, and here we are. 

These are 12 things I love about autumn.


1. The colours of the foliage
My favourite thing about Autumn has got to be the explosion of colour from the trees and foliage when the leaves transform from lush green to fiery reds, oranges, yellows, rusts, and coppers, the fields fill with bright orange pumpkins, and hedgerows come alive with crops of purple, red and orange berries. It makes everywhere look so beautiful, especially where I live on the edge of The Cotswolds. The countryside and little Cotswold villages look so idyllic with a backdrop of Autumn foliage, and even my hometown looks pretty as there are so many trees around. I love sitting at my bedroom window and just taking in all the colours as the leaves change.

2. Autumn fashion and beauty colours
My love of Autumn colours isn't just reserved for nature; I also adore Autumn's fashion, and beauty colours. As soon as September begins, I love to dress in forest green, teal, emerald, burgundy, plum, mustard, rust, and all of those other amazing Autumn colours, and enjoy wearing some of them on my nails and eyelids, too. I think they go well with my pale freckled skin and dyed red hair.

3. Taking walks and crunching through Autumn leaves
I don't get to do this too often anymore, thanks to my health, but I've always loved wrapping up warm and taking long Autumn walks to crunch through paths of fallen Autumn leaves. There's just something really satisfying about the sound of leaves crunching underfoot, and kicking through piles of leaves like a big kid.

4. Going to the bonfire and watching the fireworks
The RAF base joining my home town always organises an impressive fireworks display and massive bonfire for Bonfire Night, and it's an event I've enjoyed going to since I was really young. They put on the best fireworks around, and I have so many good memories of walking down to the base through fallen orange leaves, watching the bonfire being lit, playing with sparklers, eating barbecued sausages, and looking up to see the fireworks light up the night sky with explosions of colour. I haven't been able to go since I've been chronically ill, but it's always been one of my favourite parts of Autumn, and it never fails to get me in to the autumn spirit.

5. Carving pumpkins
One of my favourite Autumn activities is definitely carving a pumpkin for Halloween. I'm not very good at it, but it's fun to try, and I love the smell of a lit Jack o' lantern. (Tell me I'm not the only one?) Sadly, I fear this may be one activity I'm going to have to say goodbye to, as this year's attempt at a sugar skull pumpkin left me with a claw for a hand and horrendous pain and stiffness in my joints. Damn arthritis. It's been so bad I've barely been able to use my right hand for over a week now,  but you live and learn. 

6. Sunny days with a crisp chill in the air
I love those sunny autumn days when the sun is shining, the sky is a flawless stroke of blue, and there's a crisp chill in the air, especially when autumn is just beginning, and it's clear summer is over for another year. There's something really refreshing about it after a long hot summer, and I love feeling the cool air against my face while the rest of me is wrapped up warm in cosy layers. 


7. Dark evenings spent crafting
I'll admit I'm not a fan of the short hours of daylight and long dark nights we get at this time of year, but I like to make the most of all those extra hours spent indoors by doing lots of crafting. I put on a movie or two, get comfortable, and spend the autumn evenings working on Christmas craft projects like cross stitches, hoop art, felt wreaths, and even some painting. I'm always in my element at this time of year when I can just craft away to my heart's content.

8. Spending rainy days reading and having movie marathons
Is there anything better than curling up under a cosy blanket on a cold rainy day, and getting lost in a good book, having a movie marathon, or binge-watching your current favourite box-set while the rain lashes against the windows? If there is, I don't want to know about it. They're the best activities for days like today. I love being able to journey to another world without leaving the comfort of my bed or sofa.

9. Eating hearty comfort food
Another undeniably good thing about autumn has got to be the food. When it's cold outside, you just can't beat hearty homemade comfort food like shepherd's pie, soup with fresh crusty bread, Sunday roasts, and my Mum's apple pie and custard. Autumn Sundays were always the best growing up as it usually brought a roast, and a homemade apple pie, upside-down-cake, or rice pudding for dessert

10. Memories of childhood autumns
I've lived in the same town all my life, so memories of my childhood days are everywhere, and I can't help getting all nostalgic at this time of year. Seeing conkers on the trees reminds me of squeezing in tiny gaps between garden fences and the fence line of the RAF base near our house to collect fallen conkers with my friends when I was little. The best part was always pulling the pods apart to get to the conkers inside. Even simple things like seeing seasonal produce in the supermarkets takes me back to Harvest Festival at primary school. Someone (possibly the local bakery) made a decorative loaf of bread for the school every year, which always included a little harvest mouse in the design, and it always looked so damn cute. I miss those days.

11. Candles
I love lighting a seasonal scented candle at this time of year, and unwinding in the glow of candle-light. I find it so cosy and relaxing on the long dark evenings, and, as I only tend to light candles during autumn and winter, it still feels like a real treat. I love the smell of autumn candle fragrances, especially Yankee Candle's Tarte Tatin, Pain au Raisin, and Salted Caramel. Basically anything that smells like baked goods.

12. Preparing for Christmas
As a self-confessed Christmas addict, as soon as we get to September, my mind always turns to Christmas, and I love to spend the autumn months preparing for the festive season. From getting stuck in to Christmas crafts and Christmas shopping, to preparing content for Blogmas and shooting my festive photos, I enjoy spending those dismal grey autumn months planning for my favourite time of year.

So, those are some of my favourite things about Autumn... what are yours?

You Might Also Like
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig