Saturday 15 December 2018

DIY Hobbycraft Nutcracker Christmas Crackers


On Thursday, I finally found the time to make this year's Christmas crackers and take the photos I needed to blog about them, so of course, I'm here to blog about them today.


If you're a long-time reader of my blog, you'll probably know that I love to make my own Christmas crackers and do so every year. I've been making them instead of purchasing a generic ready-made set for around a decade now, and it's something I look forward to doing every Christmas.

I was tempted to make my own crackers entirely from scratch this year, but then I saw this amazing Nutcracker Christmas cracker kit in Hobbycraft for just £4, and they looked so cute, I just couldn't resist them. This set of six crackers features a nutcracker design in vibrant red, blue, and green, with stripes and accents of yellow, black, and white. As you can see, they come in two complimenting colour-ways, and the set includes three of each design.


The crackers come flat packed ready for you to make, and the set includes cracker snaps, paper crowns, jokes, and silver curling ribbons. You just need to buy little gifts to fill them with, and then you can start constructing them.


These crackers are so ridiculously easy to make that almost anybody could make them- including children. All you have to do is roll the cracker in to a cylinder shape, slot the three tabs in to the slots, cinch one end with ribbon, fill it with treats, tie up the other end, and voila, you're done! I can make all six crackers in as little as ten or fifteen minutes (when I'm not stopping to take photos as I go along), but on your first attempt, it may take you a little longer to get the knack. You'll definitely be able to make them within half an hour, so it's the perfect craft to enjoy if you want to do some Christmas crafting but have little time to spare during the hectic festive season.


This year, I've filled my crackers with colourful confetti, Christmas scratch cards, and a selection of festive Lindt chocolates. I was planning to do something a little different this year, but my Mum came back from Costco last month with a huge pack of Lindt chocolates for me to use, and I was hardly going to turn away free chocolate. They'll definitely be a welcome treat on Christmas Day. I also decided to add a £1 scratch card to every cracker as an extra surprise, and to make Christmas dinner that little more exciting. It's unlikely anyone will win the jackpot, but you never know, it could happen, and the possibility of winning a couple of quid is always fun. Fingers crossed they're all winners! 

Helpful tip: if you want to add a scratch card to your crackers, make sure you stick a penny to the back with washi tape so everyone can enjoy them around the dinner table!


Of course, you don't have to stick to chocolates or scratch cards when filling your own crackers; you can fill them with all kinds of small treats. You could use: mini beauty products, make up, nail polishes, lip balms, hair accessories, costume jewellery, small toys (figurines, wind up toys, bouncy balls etc.), stickers, pens and pencils, keyrings, sweets, candy canes, packets of popcorn kernels, other edible goodies, flavoured tea bags, cinema tickets, gig tickets, gift cards, bookmarks, craft and art supplies, mini votives or tea light candles, seed packets, homemade vouchers, letters, money... the possibilities are endless. The gifts just need to be able to fit in to the centre of the cracker, and not be too heavy or sharp enough to cause an injury if it flies across the table as the cracker is snapped! Nobody wants a bag of marbles or a pen knife flying at their head or breaking your Mum's best china! It's up to you whether you personalise each cracker for each guest or fill them with goodies your whole party will enjoy, but if you want to personalise them, you can easily do this by catering to each person's hobbies and interests, and by selecting age appropriate and even gender-specific items. For instance, crackers filled with make up would go down well with your beauty-loving girlfriends, edible treats are perfect for foodies, and toys will always be well-received by children.


I originally tied my crackers using the silver curling ribbons provided, but after I finished, I decided to switch them for some red organza ribbon to make them look even prettier. I think it gives them a little something extra, and makes them look a little more tasteful. I love how it now looks like the nutcrackers are wearing red scarves! 


I'm also considering adding some jingle bells, mini baubles, or pom poms to embellish the crackers, but I need to see what I have left over once I've finished my present-wrapping. If you want to add your own touch to your crackers, you could tie them with ribbons, string, raffia, lace trims, strips of fabric, tinsel, or even strawberry laces. To decorate them, you could use Christmas decorations, present toppers, stickers, Christmas tree chocolates, silk flowers, fresh foliage, buttons, sequins, glitter, fabric... whatever inspires you. Just let your creativity run wild!

Hobbycraft's cracker kits are currently all sold out online, but check in store, as they may still be available. If you can't track them down in store, Litle Crafty Bugs also have a fantastic selection of cracker kits here in countless festive and non-festive designs. You can buy cracker kits from lots of other shops and craft stores these days, including Amazon and eBay, so be sure to have a good trawl through Google to find your perfect cracker kit.

You could also make your own crackers by downloading a cracker template from the Internet, and cutting out your own crackers from card or thick paper. You could use festive patterned or coloured card or use something plain and decorate it yourself. Really, you're only limited by your imagination and willingness to experiement. You'll just need to source your own cracker snaps, hats, and jokes, which you can usually buy from most craft stores at this time of year. Hobbycraft still have a set of cracker hats and jokes available online here.


It's so much fun making your own crackers instead of buying them ready-made, and once you start making them, you'll never want to buy a pack off the shelf again! They'll look beautiful on your dinner table, and everyone will love the personal touch of your handmade crackers.

I'm really pleased with my Hobbycraft Nutcracker Christmas crackers, and I know they're going to go down well with my family on Christmas Day. They always do. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone enjoy them, and finding out if anyone will win anything from the scratch cards. Not long to wait now!

Have you ever made your own Christmas crackers? Will you be making your own this Christmas?

You Might Also Like
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig