Saturday 30 August 2014

Zatchels Polka Dot Satchel Review

I'd like to introduce you to the newest addition to my bag collection, this rather gorgeous polka dot Zatchels satchel!

Isn't it a beauty? It was a birthday present from my older sister, which I convinced her to buy after I spotted it in the Zatchels sale back in June. It was just £31 instead of £110, which was a complete steal, and we both agreed it was too great a bargain to pass up. She paid for the bag, and I paid for shipping, (fair deal, I think!), and it finally arrived on my doorstep a couple of weeks ago after a very long six week wait.

While I was not at all happy about the very long wait- more on that in a minute- I'm pleased to say the satchel didn't disappoint. I've wanted a polka dot satchel for years, and this bag is far more perfect than I could have ever hoped for. It's absolutely beautiful in both design and craftsmanship.


Like all of Zatchels' bags, the satchel was handmade in Britain by a team of skilled crafts-people using high quality leather and fastenings. You can really see the skill used to make this satchel; the stitching is uniformly straight, and there's not a single stitch out of line. It's clear by how perfectly every piece has been put together that it was made carefully and with precision by highly-skilled people. I can also feel the quality of the materials used; the leather is wonderfully thick, and the nickel buckles are so sturdy. You really do get what you pay for with a Zatchels satchel and in this case that means quality!



The satchel features a large main compartment at the back of the bag, and a smaller pocket to the front, which is the perfect place to keep the items you want to grab quickly, like your phone or keys. This satchel is the 13", and while it looks like a big bag, it doesn't have a huge amount of space... but it does have enough room for the essentials. I can fit my purse, keys, phone, iPod, lip balm, Kindle, and some make up in it with a little room to spare. I can't carry around a heavy bag anymore, anyway, so it definitely meets my needs most days.


The bag is fastened by two straps at the front, which need to be buckled and unbuckled by hand. It can be slightly inconvenient when you're in a rush, but it doesn't take too long to do. If you don't like the idea of dealing with buckles whenever you want access to your belongings, Zatchels now offer the option of adding magnetic claps to their bags- although it wasn't an option when I purchased this one, or I probably would've added them.



The satchel also has an adjustable shoulder strap, which has a silver nickle buckle fastening and eleven notches so you can adjust it to the desired length. I love my bags long, and on the longest notch it sits on my upper thigh, or on the hip when worn across the body, which is perfect for me. It doesn't matter how short or tall you are, or what size you are, the shoulder straps on Zatchels satchels will adjust to accommodate most people's needs.


I absolutely adore this satchel, and I would recommend Zatchels satchels to anybody who loves high-quality leather satchels. This bag is my third Zatchels bag- I also have a classic red satchel and a red heart print barrel bag- and I've yet to find a fault with any of them.

However, I will say, I've not been impressed with the length of time I've had to wait for the two bags I purchased (during two different transactions a year apart). Last year, I had to wait a ridiculous ten weeks for my barrel bag to be delivered, and this year I was left waiting for this satchel for six long weeks. Not cool! I started getting annoyed after a month had passed. 

I ordered my satchel within the first half an hour of their sale, yet people who had placed their orders later were getting their bags before me. So frustrating! I personally think they need to be conscious of working on orders by date and not just by design, even if they feel it's more efficient to work from one leather at a time. Their service is extremely slow during sale time and I don't think I'll be in a hurry to shop with them online again, even for a beautiful bargain. I understand that they get flooded with orders during sales and they're only human, but I haven't got the patience for service that slow, even if their bags are so beautifully crafted.



This polka dot satchel was definitely worth the long wait, though, and I absolutely love it! Sadly this design is no longer available, but there are different colours to choose from here which are currently on sale. I think there's only one day left of their sale, so get in fast if you want to snag a bargain!

Do you own a Zatchels satchel?

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. What a beautiful bag! Its a shame the wait was so long, but it is super adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bag it's very you! I wouldn't be happy with that wait either xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute bag - I can see it working really well with your vintage inspired style :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful bag, really stunning. There's quite a few reduced on the site now but I must say, the wait you experienced makes me very wary...
    Paula x
    http://shinyfatbows.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig