Thursday 20 October 2022

Erstwilder All Hallows Eve

 I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.

The leaves are changing, it's the perfect time for reading under a cosy blanket, and Erstwilder's Halloween collection is finally here.

This year, they've released a fantastic throwback collection called All Hallows Eve based on the primitive Halloween characters from the turn of the 21st century, following a patchwork and hand-stitched style that was popular at the time. There are skeletons in bowler hats, cats and dogs dressed in sheets, pumpkin-headed witches, and frightful creatures galore.

I only bought one piece from the collection, because, y'know, cost of living and all that, but holy Jason Momoa, did I chose a good one.

Part pumpkin, part witch, I introduce to you The Stitched Witch; quite possibly one of my favourite brooch designs to date. With her black buckled hat and white-collared gown, she makes me think she's a pilgrim pumpkin witch, come to life to curse her pious accusers from the witch trials for stitching her mouth shut and sending her to her death. But maybe I'm just away with the fairies...

I love the textured resins used for this piece. The broom handle looks like it's made of wood, the pumpkin looks almost realistic, and the marbling in the gown gives the impression of flowing fabric. The stitched patch is a cute little addition, too. It's an all-round awesome design, and I'm obsessed with it. I can't stop wearing it.

My only disappointment with this brooch is that the one I received wasn't up to their usual standard of quality. It has at least seven little pin prick marks in the resin, and a raised notch of resin at the bottom of the gown where something must've gone wrong in the production process. (You can't see them clearly in these photos, but they're there). It should clearly have only been sold as a second, and I'm not sure how it slipped through quality control unnoticed. I would never have paid full price for it if I had seen its flaws.

I got in touch with the stockist I purchased it from- Daisy Park- who replied almost straight away and helped resolve the issue quickly, despite being away on holiday. They offered to refund me, but as the brooch was sold out from all the UK stockists and they couldn't offer a replacement, I decided to keep it anyway as I still wanted it in my collection. They kindly offered me a partial refund instead, which was back in my account just moments later. I was really impressed with their level of customer service; it's not something you get too often.

I'm not put off by the lapse in quality; it's the first time I've had an issue with Erstwilder's jewellery in the five or six years I've been collecting them. Mistakes happen, and hopefully it was just a one-off. I've come to live with the brooch's imperfections, just like I've learnt to live with my own. They add character. I don't think they're too noticeable, especially when I'm wearing it- and I've already worn her a lot- except for the notch of resin at the bottom, which I'm trying to pretend is just a crease in her gown from her foot. It kinda looks like one, if you squint.

There are still many pieces available from the All Hallows Eve collection, and they're definitely worth checking out. The Stitched Witch brooch is sadly sold out from all the UK stockists I'm aware of, but it's still available direct from Erstwilder in Australia here, so snap her up while you can. 

Did you buy anything from the All Hallow's Eve collection?

You Might Also Like

Erstwilder Bone Brigade and Kitschy Witch Jewellery

Erstwilder Halloween 2019

Erstwilder x Pete Cromer Wildlife Collection

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig