Friday 8 October 2021

Autumn Goals

I don't know what it is about autumn, but as soon as we reach September, I always feel motivated to start new projects, and get stuff done. 

I find myself wanting to do all the craft projects, visit new places, have a big declutter, bake, and read lots of books. I'm guessing it's because autumn always signified the start of a new school year, and my brain still sees the change in seasons as a time to learn and get to work. Whatever the reason, autumn still feels like a new chapter in the year, and I've once again found myself with a big list of things I want to do before winter sets in. I thought I'd share some of them with you today to make myself accountable, and hopefully motivate myself in to achieving them, so let's go buy new school supplies, and get started.

Go For an Autumn Walk

I want to try to go on at least one autumn walk this year- preferably in the woods- so I can crunch through the fallen leaves, take in the colours of the foliage, and feel the cold air on my face. I love a good autumn walk.

Visit a Pumpkin Patch

I've still never visited a pumpkin patch, so I'd really like to visit one this autumn, and pick out a pumpkin to carve.

Carve a Pumpkin

I like to carve a pumpkin every Halloween, but couldn't last year as I wasn't well enough on the day, so I'm looking forward to trying again this year. I don't do a lot for Halloween, but I always try to at least butcher a pumpkin.

Paint Some Pumpkins

I'd also really like to try painting some pumpkins, and see what fun designs I can come up with. It looks like fun.

Have a Halloween Movie Marathon

I'm looking forward to some good Halloween-themed movie marathons this October. My sister and I are already talking about having a movie night at her house, with a takeaway, and some good snacks to celebrate Halloween. I'm most looking forward to the classic that is Hocus Pocus.

Watch My Favourite Autumn Movies

I also want to watch lots of autumnal movies to get me in the mood for autumn. I'm particularly looking forward to rewatching You've Got Mail, Practical Magic, Little Women, Stepmom, War of the Worlds, The Village, and lots of other autumn favourites.

Read Lots

I want to read as much as possible this autumn, and try to fit in some reading time every day. I've only got four more books to finish before I hit my Goodreads reading goal of forty books, and I'm hoping to reach it before December, as I'm always too busy to read much over Christmas. Two months to read four books? Should be easy.

Go to the Bonfire and Watch the Fireworks

Our local RAF base has the best fireworks and a massive bonfire for Bonfire Night, and I used to love going every year. I haven't been in ten years because of chronic pain, Covid, or because my sister and brother-in-law (who I need to sign me on to camp) moved away for a while, and I miss it. I'd really like to go this year- and my sister isn't giving me a choice, anyway- so fingers crossed for a good chronic pain day that night so I can go.

Take an Autumn Drive Through the Cotswolds

I live on the edge of The Cotswolds, which is obviously famous for it's beautiful countryside, and picture perfect little villages. It's gorgeous all year round, but particularly during the autumn when everywhere is backdropped with a palette of fiery oranges, golden yellows, deep reds, and rich browns. I'm hoping to be able to take a drive about to take it all in once the leaves have changed, and maybe even stop to do a little exploring.

Visit the Ashmolean and Pitt Rivers Museums in Oxford

It's been years since I last visited Oxford's museums, but I always found the Ashmolean and Pitt Rivers museums fascinating, and am itching to pay them both a visit again. There's something about chilly autumn days that makes me want to wander around cold echo-y buildings, and learn about old stuff.

Make Pumpkin Dog Treats

I don't know why, but I'd really like to try to make pumpkin dog biscuits / treats for my dog, Rosie, and her cousin, Mia from scratch. I know it would be easier to just buy some, but where's the fun in that?

Fix My Erstwilder Brooches

The brooch backs on two of my Erstwilder brooches, a sunflower, and a Halloween dog leaning on a pumpkin, broke a while back from separate falls to the floor, so I need to contact the brand and find out the best way to repair them. I want to be able to wear them both again this autumn / Halloween.

Make My Animal Crossing Island Look Autumnal

I still play Animal Crossing New Horizons every day, and I'm currently aiming to make it look as autumnal as possible. I made a start last week, and am currently working on a Halloween area, and a crop farm for my pumpkins. I'm feeling more inspired with the game than I have done in ages.

Visit the Wildlife Park

My sister and I are hoping to pay another visit to The Cotswold Wildlife Park once the leaves have changed. We'll get to enjoy an autumn walk in a pretty setting with lots of trees and foliage, and see lots of cute exotic animals along the way. What's not to like?

Paint

It's been ages since I last did some watercolour painting, so I'd like to dig out my paints, and spend some time getting creative this fall. I'm not very good at it, but I find it so therapeutic.

Finish My Christmas Cross Stitch

I began a Christmas cross stitch wall hanging two years ago, and I still haven't finished it because I've needed to go out and get some more threads to finish it off, and couldn't decide which colours to use. I've got so little left to sew, and I'm determined to get it done before Christmas so I can move on to something new.

Blog More

I've been really bad at blogging this year because I've rarely felt up to it, but I've got so many posts I want to write and post, including some posts about my recent holiday to Cornwall, and of course, reviews of my latest brooch purchases. I'm going to do my best to blog more this autumn, and I also want to start preparing Christmas content to take some of the pressure off in December.

Fill Some Gaps in My Wardrobe

There's a few gaps in my wardrobe I would like to fill this season. I particularly need a new pair of black ankle boots, and some new pyjamas, and I'd love to get some new dresses for the colder months. I rarely have the money for new clothes these days, and my wardrobe really is lacking, so it's time I picked up a few things.

Actively Start Christmas Shopping

It's just over two and a half months 'til Christmas Day (how scary is that?!), so it's time to actively start shopping for Christmas presents! (I like to start early to spread the cost, and stay organised). I've already bought a few presents this month, and bought some earlier in the year, too, so I'd say I'm off to a good start.

Organise My Bookshelves

My bookshelf is in desperate need of a sort-out. It's been overflowing with books- with a few stacks not far off the ceiling- for years, and the mess is stressing me out. I think the solution is to move my DVDs off the shelf (since they're rarely watched these days), put the discs in to folders, and store the cases in the shed. It should open up more space for books, so I can keep them tidy and organised. I just need to find some time (and spoons) so I can get started on it, and I want to get it done this autumn. Enough is enough.

Have a Clear Out

I also want to declutter some of my stuff, especially my wardrobe, so I'm going to try to have a clear out (if my health allows it), and maybe sell some stuff on eBay to make a little extra cash. The extra pennies would definitely come in handy with the festive season coming up.

And those are some of my autumn goals.

There are more goals on my to-do-list, but I've already rambled on enough, so I'll stop there. You can wake up again now.

I don't know how much I'll be able to achieve, and doubt I'll tick everything off the list, but I'm going to give it my best shot. That's all anybody can do, right?

Wish me luck!

What's on your to-do-list this autumn?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig