Thursday 16 October 2014

Bookshelf Tour Part Two: DVDs and CDs

Last week I gave you a peek at the books on my bookshelf, and today I'm back to show you the DVDs, CDs, and trinkets that also reside on the shelves.







If you didn't see last week's post, here's another look at what my bookshelves look like. Every last gap is crammed full of the books, DVDs, CDs and trinkets I've collected over the last fifteen years.

Let's start with the DVDs. I'm not sure exactly how many are in my collection, but I think I have over 300. I've been buying them since I was seventeen or eighteen, when the videos started phasing out! (I'm showing my age here)! I've never gone out of my way to collect them; the collection has just built up from years of treating myself to a couple of bargain-priced films here and there. I don't buy them often anymore.

I've loved movies for as long as I can remember, but who hasn't? There's nothing better than curling up on the sofa with a movie after a busy day. I don't have a particular preference about what I watch; I enjoy watching a variety of genres from chick flicks to musicals and disaster movies to horror.

I own quite a few rom-coms, but show me a girlie girl who doesn't! In my opinon, every girl needs You've Got Mail, Practical Magic, Letters to Juliet, Julie and Julia, and The Family Stone in their collection! 

Above this shelf is a framed photo of my Mum, my sisters, and I in a pretty frame I bought at Paignton Zoo. I'm the one in the white dress, and I was about seven. The other two photos are of my best friend and I back in the nineties. The photo on the right is one of my favourites; we were eleven and drinking Hooch at my sister's eighteenth birthday party back in 1997!

I have even more chick flicks, nineties teen movies, and musicals on this shelf. Basically, your typical girlie movies. I'd recommend The Book Thief, Walk the Line, Australia, and Meet Me in St. Louis if you've never seen them. 


This shelf is mostly dedicated to films from the eighties and nineties; the films I grew up watching like Steel Magnolias, Uncle Buck, Corrina, Corrina, Labyrinth and My Father the Hero. They're all awesome!

Above it are all of my Lost box sets. It's probably my favourite TV series of all time, thanks in part to Sawyer and Sayid being so easy on the eye! Yeah, I'm a perve!


Here's another random selection of chick flicks, musicals, and everybody's favourite dystopian book adaptations.


This shelf is mostly awesome disaster films, and a few slightly-creepy horrors. I'm not a huge fan of horror movies, but give me a dystopian, post-apocalyptic, or zombie flick and I'm so there!


These are just some of my Christmas DVDs, and I'm not even sorry! I'm a self-confessed Christmas enthusiast, and festive films never fail to get me in the festive spirit. I have to watch Santa Claus the Movie, Home Alone, Christmas With The Kranks, and The Muppet Christmas Carol every year!


This cube is mostly disaster films, action movies, and Leo Di Caprio films. Titanic is my favourite movie of all time, but I'm sure with three Titanic DVDs on the shelf (four if you count the unrelated TV series), I'm sure you'd never have guessed... Explanation? I had to buy second and third copies after each edition began skipping all the time from being watched a thousand times. I've never purposefully collected them.


The shelf at the bottom is home to my Harry Potters, and a random selection of thrillers, horrors, and musicals. It's also where I keep a bunch of random CDs and blank discs.

All of the shelves are double stacked, so there are even more DVDs hidden behind all of those shown above! If I showed you them, too, we'd be here all day. A lot of the films hidden away are beyond terrible, but there are also all of the Sex and the City and Friends box sets; a bunch of Disneys; old classics like My Girl and Hook; and a few music DVDs.


As for CDs, this is only some of my collection. I have others in the loft and in the car, and my sister has a bunch of them I'll probably never be given back. I don't buy CDs as often as I used to; unless one of my favourite bands has released something new; I generally download most music these days. I prefer buying the CD so I can sit and read the album sleeve during that special first listen, but it's just easier , and usually cheaper to download, and it saves on space. I haven't really gone through or played any of these CDs for years. Most of them are actually quite old.

It's been a while since I last discovered a new band or artist. I've just been listening to the same favourites on a loop for the last couple of years! My favourite bands are Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy, Boyzone, Ronan Keating, Evanescence, Panic! at the Disco, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, and Snow Patrol. Lostprophets used to be one of my favourite bands, but I doubt I'll ever listen to them again thanks to that sick fuck.



There isn't much room left to spare on the shelf, but most of the little gaps and edges are occupied by little treasures like ornaments, trinket pots, and mini teddy bears. I think all of the knick-knacks on the bookcase were presents; they're not things I tend to buy for myself. I have several Just For You bears and ornaments that were given to me as presents in my late teens / early twenties back in the noughties when everybody was obsessed with them. I still think they're cute, but to be honest I got bored of Tatty Teddy a long time ago.

I bought these Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing canvases from Camden lock market in my early twenties. The stall sold wooden hand-painted canvases of movie scenes and movie icons in both colour and black and white, and being a typical girl, I just couldn't resist these four. The Dirty Dancing ones came in a set, the Pretty Woman one was flying solo, although if there had been a set, I would probably have bought it because I just adore that film!


This heart-shaped polka dot memo board is currently filling a gap on the wall above the shelves. One of my sisters bought me it from Sainsburys last year. I've never actually used it as a memo board; I like it just the way it is.

And... that concludes my book shelf tour! If you've made it through all of that, thanks for sticking with me!

If you'd like to see part one of the bookshelf tour, you can find it here.

Do you have a DVD collection to rival mine? What are your favourite films?


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I love your musical taste! We have a lot of the same CDs (though I was going to say you might want to get rid of those LostProphets ones!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby is the one who buys films we have whole shelves dedicated to marvel! I'm more of a netflix girl myself it saves me having to hunt for that dvd xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Vicar of Dibley! Especially that Christmas episode where she tries to go to everyones house as she doesn't want to disappoint anyone :D

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig