Friday 21 September 2018

Kimchi and Coconut Australian Animal Brooches




A few months ago, I finally added two new brooches to my ever-growing brooch collection that had both been on my wish list for well over a year. No, I didn't snap up more brooches from Erstwilder (alright, I did, but I'm not referring to them today), I treated myself to brooches from another fantastic jewellery brand called Kimchi and Coconut.

Kimchi and Coconut is a young British brand, based in Birmingham, who make beautiful laser-cut acrylic jewellery heavily inspired by nature and art. They most recently launched a collection influenced by Van Gogh's most famous works of art, and also offer a wide range of quirky animal designs, including plenty of pieces inspired by sea life and Australian animals.


Naturally, the animal designs are my favourites, and since I discovered the brand about a year and a half ago, I'd been particularly drawn to the Australian animal brooches. What can I say? I've always been fascinated by Australia's weird and wonderful wildlife, and seeing some of my favourite Aussie animals in brooch form proved too irresistible for this animal-loving brooch addict. In June, I finally ordered two of the brooches I'd been admiring for many moons- a platypus and a tiger quoll.


Many of you may be wondering what the hell a tiger quoll is. A tiger quoll is basically a brown-spotted, long-tailed, carnivorous marsupial- the largest in mainland Australia- that looks like a cross between a Tasmanian devil and a possum, I've never actually seen one in person, but I've always thought they were adorable, and when I saw Kimchi and Coconut had made a quoll brooch, I instantly fell in love with it. As it turns out, it's even cuter in person.



The little freckled marsupial is curled up asleep in the foetal position with his long tail curled around him, and his little paws tucked under his chin. He has a taupe-brown coat with a shiny finish, and has been finished with textured cream spots, and simple black etching to add detail. He is so damn cute! He sort of looks like a sleepy freckled squirrel, which I think most people outside Australia will likely think he is since the quoll is not exactly a widely known animal. My family guessed a squirrel or a mouse. I doubt anyone will ever guess right!

Unfortunately, the quoll brooch is currently sold out, but he may get restocked, so it could be worth keeping an eye on the website or messaging the brand if you want to get your hands on one. He retails for a purse-friendly £15, and was worth every penny. It's easily one of the most adorable brooches in my collection.



The platypus needs no introduction; it's one of the most recognisable of all Australian animals, and without a doubt one of the world's most unusual animals. In fact, this duck-billed, beaver-tailed critter is so odd, that the first scientists who examined one thought they were victims of a hoax! Personally, I like to think this little guy and his friends escaped from the magical world and have been hanging out down under ever since. Seriously, don't they look like they belong in Fantastic Beasts?


Kimchi and Coconut have crafted their charming platypus brooch out of the most beautiful mahogany wood-effect layered acrylic. His body is a gorgeous red-brown, streaked with dark brown for that wood-effect, and cut to give his body and tail a fluffy appearance. He's been finished off with a dark grey bill. eye, and feet, and little etched details which only add to his character. This brooch is about the length of my index finger from bill to tail, so he's a good statement piece, neither too big or too small. It's a stunning brooch, and just as adorable as the real living, breathing, duck-billed monotremes that grace Australasia. Obviously, I couldn't resist him, and I'm so glad I decided to buy him.because he's become one of the cutest and most unusual brooches in my collection- always a great combination in my eyes! The platypus brooch is currently still available to buy, and like the quoll, also retails for just £15. Snap him up before he's gone!

Both brooches came presented in their own small rectangular plain cardboard boxes, nestled in colourful tissue paper on a bed of felt, which was a lovely touch, and ideal for storing them safely, or for gifting them to a friend or loved one. 

I'm really impressed with both of the brooches I bought; they're beautiful, well made, and fantastic quality. I'm so pleased with them I know that I'll be going back for other designs in the future.

If you want to see more of what Kimchi and Coconut have to offer, you can view the whole selection of acrylic jewellery available on their website here. I couldn't recommend their brooches more.

Do you own any Kimchi and Coconut jewellery?

You Might Also Like
Erstwilder Australiana Brooches
Erstwilder South American Socialites Brooches
Erstwilder Brooch Haul
Wild & Wolf Folklore Bear and Deer Necklaces
Cath Kidston Little Flower Buds Owl Brooch
My Quirky Brooch Collection 2016
My Brooch Collection 2014
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. They are super cute! I DO own some Kimchi and Coconut because I subscribed to their Monthly box for about 4 months! My fave is the Starry night necklace!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig