Tuesday 18 September 2018

The Famous Five Clothbound Hardcovers by Enid Blyton


I've always been an avid reader, but growing up in the eighties and nineties, I devoured books like there was no tomorrow. (That was before gadgets, social media and the Internet came on the scene, and began competing for my time and attention, along with the realities of adult life). If I wasn't playing outside or having fun with my Polly Pockets and Sylvanian Families, I could usually be found with my nose buried in a book, or visiting the local library with my Mum and checking out the maximum number of books they allowed. I couldn't get enough of them. 

In my childhood days, I read everything from The Animals of Farthing Wood to Goodnight Mister Tom, and of course, anything by Beatrix Potter, Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton.



I always had a particular fondness for Enid Blyton's books, and read every one I could get my hands on. My favourites were The Magic Faraway Tree, The Secret Seven, and The Famous Five books. (And in that order). I loved her good old-fashioned children's adventure stories, usually featuring groups of children exploring magical worlds, going on adventures, and solving mysteries together without their parents around to spoil their fun. Isn't that every child's dream? I wanted to turn my Dad's shed in to a secret club house like in The Secret Seven, and go off in a gypsy caravan like The Famous Five. I can't imagine why my parents never let me.

Then I grew up and out grew my childhood interests. I distanced myself from my childhood possessions in favour of boybands, make up, and teen magazines, as pre-teen girls often do, and my books and toys no doubt got handed down to my younger sister or given away to other kids we knew.

The only book from my childhood that I still have today is Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian, and I've long since regretted not keeping hold of the rest, especially the Enid Blytons. 

So, you can imagine how excited I was when I discovered that Hodder and Stroughton had released beautiful cloth-bound, hardback editions of the first three Famous Five books to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the series last year. I knew I had to get my hands on them, so I snapped up all three books from Amazon earlier this year, and I've been meaning to write about them ever since.



These three special editions include the first three books in the Famous Five series, Five on a Treasure Island, Five Go Adventuring Together, and Five Run Away Together, which in my opinion, are three classics that every child should read before they grow up. In fact, I think every adult who didn't grow up on them should read them, too.

The books are stunning little hard backs with clothbound covers in muted colours that create a real nostalgic aesthetic that makes them look like they've been pulled off the shelf of a 1940s child's bedroom. They each have patterned front and back covers relating to the story, and if that wasn't wonderful enough, the prints, lettering, and spines have been embellished with a beautiful metallic foil that creates a mesmerising shine. The only problem is, you'll be so distracted with playing with the covers, you'll forget to start reading the stories!

The first book in the series, Five on a Treasure Island, has a sky blue cover featuring a navy-blue ship print with a metallic blue sheen.



Five Go Adventuring Together is yellow-green in colour, and has a forest green anchor print with a metallic teal shine.



And the third book, Five Run Away Together, is brick red with a gorgeous metallic rose-gold Spitfire print on the front and back, which has such a nostalgic feel to it.



The books are also illustrated, with black and white sketch style illustrations taking up half to two-thirds of a page every few pages, which is a sweet touch, and sure to interest young readers. I think they may be the same illustrations that were in the Famous Five books I grew up on in the nineties.



All three books are absolutely beautiful. I can never resist a book with a pretty cover, and love a good cloth-bound, and these are three of the prettiest children's books I've ever seen. (And I used to work in a vintage-style toy shop with no shortage of beautiful classics). I only wish they'd release the entire Famous Five series in this style. I don't know if they plan to, but I hope they do bring them out at some point because I'd love the whole collection in this style- especially Five Go Off in a Caravan, which was always my favourite of The Famous Five stories.

I haven't found the time to sit down and enjoy these books yet, but I'm looking forward to taking that trip down memory lane soon. I'm hoping to fit them in before Autumn is through. They'd be perfect for reading curled up under a blanket on a dreary rainy day.



Here's the synopsis for each book:

Five On A Treasure Island: "When four children and their dog, Timmy, set out to explore Kirrin Island, they make a thrilling discovery that leads them deep in to the dungeons of a castle. The adventure of a lifetime awaits..."

Five Go Adventuring Again: "When The Famous Five find a map leading to a secret passageway, they can't wait to follow it, but when uncle Quentin's vital scientific papers go missing, a real-life treasure hunt begins. Could the hidden passage hold the key to finding the thief?"

Five Run Away Together: "When The Famous Five are camping on Kirrin Island they discover a mysterious trunk. Then they hear a terrified scream in the middle of the night. Could the two be linked? The children are determined to investigate."

These beautiful books have an RRP of £10.99, and should be available from all good book stores. I purchased my copies on Amazon, and you can find Five on a Treasure Island here, Five Go Adventuring Again here, and Five Run Away Together here.

Did you grow up reading The Famous Five or other Enid Blyton stories? Which was your favourite?
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I'm a massive Enid Blyton fan too! The Magic Faraway Tree is my fave and I always preferred Famous Five to Secret Seven. I have the blue edition and definitely need to ask Santa for the other two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a HUGE Enid Blyton fan (still am!) and I used to patiently sit and bottle honey for my Grandad from the big honeycomb container in exchange for being able to go to WHSmith and choose another Enid Blyton book. My favourite was Five Run Away Together - the VILE Stick family! It was the thought of that beautiful cave they found and that 'Kirrin Island Swimming Poool, five pence a dip!' that they discovered between the rocks! I am confused why the Anchor is the symbol for book 2 since they don't go anywhere near Kirrin island in Book 2 surely since they are snowed in and all the action takes place at Kirrin Cottage or Farm! Have you ever watcher either of the TV series? I LOVED the 1970's ones- I had lots of them on video - you can watch them on Youtube. The more modern ones aren't bad either though I don't like them as much!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig