Tuesday 11 March 2014

My Novelty Bag Collection


Over the weekend, I gave my handbag collection a little Spring clean. Just a tidy; not a clear out; I wouldn't dream of parting with the majority of them! 

While they were within reach (read: scattered on my bedroom floor), I took the opportunity to take a few photos so I could share some of them with you. I'm going to talk about my little novelty handbag collection today..


Well, this is my little collection of weird and wonderful handbags. That's if seven can be called a collection.

I suppose it can since it's a collection in progress and growing all the time.


If you're familiar with my personal style, you'll probably have noticed that novelty accessories play a big part in my day to day style. I love them! There's just something about a quirky bag or a kitsch piece of jewellery that sends my heart all a flutter and makes me smile. I guess I'm just a five year old at heart!

I truly believe that fashion should be fun, and a way of expressing our personalities. In my case, I've never really been the conventional type, and I think that shows in my fashion choices- particularly when my handbag is shaped like a dachshund, an owl, or a pair of lips! What's life without a little whimsy, eh? Life's too short to be serious!


I've loved novelty handbags for years, but it's only really over the last year or so that my collection has started to grow. I used to find most affordable novelty bags to be cheap, tacky, and poorly made, but then the trend started to flood the high street a couple of years ago, and I suddenly found myself spoilt for choice.

The oldest bag in this collection is the red lips clutch which I bought in a vintage shop called Berty and Gerty in Camden in 2007/8. Sadly, I dug it out of the landing cupboard to find it covered in black marks, which it didn't have a few months ago. I think they're damp patches, so I suspect that clutch may have had its day. :( One day a Lulu Guinness will be its replacement. One day.

The quilted black heart bag came from Topshop I think around 2008/9. I bought it in the Oxford Circus branch and I remember the shop was so full of people it took me ten minutes to get across to the bag, and half an hour of queueing to buy it. Going home without it was not an option! I only wish I'd also bought it in red. 


The Owl, the Russian Doll and The Strawberry were all from Accessorize's 2013 collections. I was lucky enough to be given the owl and strawberry for my birthday last summer, and I bought the doll a couple of months ago on sale. I love all three, but at the moment, the Russian Doll is my particular favourite. I've used it more than any other bag this year so far. I can't wait to use the strawberry this summer!


The handsome little dachshund is by Mantaray, one of Debenhams' fashion brands and I adopted him last summer. I fell in love with him and as he was on sale, I just couldn't find a reason to say no. I would've bought him full price.


My latest purchase is the ASOS quilted mint green bunny ears bag, which I bought with some Christmas money from my lovely Nana. Reasons for buying it? I love bunnies, I love mint green, and it reminded me of the white rabbit's furniture in Alice and Wonderland! Oh, and of course, I envisioned wearing it with my yellow polka dot dress this summer! 


 My collection isn't huge, but it's still getting started. I'm always on the lookout for new weird and wonderful designs to collect, and I love coming across something a little bit different.

At the moment, I'm currently coveting several new novelties, my favourite being Accessorize's amazing camera shaped bag. I've never seen a bag quite like it before, and I'm hoping to make it my next purchase, when funds allow. I'll be gutted if I miss out on it.

I also love Accessorize's lemon bag and shell bag; this milk carton bag in blue; this popcorn bucket bag in red; ASOS' heart bags in mint and lilac; this Charlotte Olympia jukebox clutch; these wicker Kate Spades'; this Betsey Johnson ice cream cone; Modcloth's watermelon, grapefruit, and bunny bags; and this Motel diamond. And I'm forever coveting all of the Lulu Guinness lip-shaped clutches. I'll never be able to buy most of them, but it doesn't hurt to admire them from afar!

I hope you've enjoyed this little peek at my collection of eccentric handbags. Do you enjoy reading posts like these? 

Who loves quirky accessories as much as I do? Do you have a novelty collection that puts mine to shame?
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. I have an accesorize owl bag but it is plainer and not as cute as yours!! Love all your quirky bags

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know which one you mean; I loved that one, too! Thanks, Helen! :)

      Delete
  2. I have been having a spring tidy too, putting away all my winter jumpers. I did intend to find some things for the charity shop or ebay, but I can't part with anything :). I love your bag collection, especially the Russian doll and the bunny ears bag. I have an ASOS bag with a mouse face on it. It's so cute, I'll have to include it on my blog sometime. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard to part with clothes, too. You never know if you might want it again next winter. Thank you! I love them, too. I'd love to see your ASOS mouse bag! It sounds amazing! xx

      Delete
  3. They're so cute! The heart and the bunny are my favourites xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them, the Russian doll is one I couldn't decide about until they'd all gone in the sale and I realised I did want one! Grr.
    I have the popcorn bag but it's not that practical and an apple bag from Ollie and Nic which I used yday and got lots of comments on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's such a shame you missed out on it. Maybe you'll find one on eBay one day? It may have been your blog I first saw the popcorn bag on, I'm not sure, but I still want one! The apple bag is amazing, too! xx

      Delete
  5. 7 is a collection, definitely! Louise, I love your bags! they are all incredible and happiness with zips! the bunny one is adorable! I think a day would be happier carrying one of them around, I'm very fond of my Minnie Mouse bag x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra! They certainly make me happy, anyway! I love the bunny bag, too, and enjoy carrying them around! xx

      Delete
  6. I love them, especially the Russian doll. The camera one is gorgeous too. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Russian doll is my current favourite, too. I've now got the camera bag, too! xx

      Delete
  7. I love them they are all so cute, x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dog one is my favourite! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your collection!!! They are so cute!!! I have a little R2D2 handbag which always gets lots of love and a,book clutch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I bet that R2D2 bag is amazing, along with the book clutch!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I already saw it!!! X

      Delete
  10. Oh man I love that russian doll one ♡ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these the sausage dog has to be my favourite tho xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourites, too. It's too cute! xx

      Delete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig