Thursday 27 March 2014

Dressing Table Tour Part 1

I finally feel like my dressing table is coming together, so I thought it was time I gave you a dressing table tour! 

There's a lot to show you, so I'm splitting the tour in to three posts to break the length down a bit. Today I'm going to show you what's displayed on the table top and surrounding walls. I should warn you that this post is photo-heavy and a bit of a long one.

It's been about a year and a half since I last did one of these posts, and it's fair to say it's changed quite a bit since then. I still have my ugly, old, rectangular, pine-look dressing table and mirrors which I've had since my early teens. I hate the appearance of the thing, but it serves its purpose and I'm not in the position to afford new furniture right now so I just make do. I'm thankful I have one, but I can't wait for the day when I can get myself a beautiful ornate white or cream vanity with an oval mirror, and heaps of storage.



This is how my dressing table currently looks, cluttered with trinkets and cosmetics. It's squeezed in to one of the alcoves in my bedroom. There's a window just to the right of the shot, and my bed is just in front of it. As I'm currently stuck living with my parents, my bedroom is pretty crammed with my possessions, and I don't have enough floor space left to be able to sit in front of the dressing table on a stool. There's about a foot gap between the table and my bed, so I just sit on the bed. I have to pretty much side step around the bed to get to it! It isn't ideal, but everything is easily within reach and I'm pleased with the way it's coming together. I'd usually keep the mirror in the centre for symmetry, but I've had to angle it in a way that doesn't catch my reflection while I'm in bed. If I see a pair of eyes looking at me while I'm half asleep, I'd give myself a heart attack!


The left hand side of the surface is currently very cluttered with most of my lotions and potions. The plan was just to keep cosmetics in the cake stand on display, but that soon went out of the window! I bought the cake stand last year from Homebase, (pink version available here), because it complimented my jewellery stands, and I thought it would be a great way to utilise my limited space. I was right! Tiered stands are invaluable if you're very tight on counter and storage space, and they look pretty, too.

The cake stand is home to my lotions, body sprays, cleansers, and travel sized toiletries.





The glass jar holds my cotton wool pads. I found it in Hobby Craft a couple of months ago and it was only £2.99! They stock the jars in a few sizes and I think this one is the smallest.

I've had the jewellery mannequin for years. It did have a stand until last year when my mother accidentally broke it whilst redecorating for me. Thankfully it doesn't look too bad without its legs because I love it. I bought it from a local store.


Along the mirror and to the right hand side of the dressing table are all my pretty trinkets.


The heart shaped stand is an earring holder, although it doesn't hold many earrings at the moment because I don't own all that many dangly ones. I'm planning to just fill it gradually as I collect them. The stand came from ASOS the Christmas before last, and I snapped it up on sale for next to nothing.


I love the hearts in the base.

The butterfly tea light holders are my latest additions. I found them in a garden centre for £1.49 each. I bought two. The candle inside this one is a baby-powder scented Yankee. It smells just like talcum powder! The scent is amazing.


My make up brushes are some of my favourite things on display. The handles are coated in glitter, gems, and beads, like those beautiful Middle Eastern trinket pots. I've had the brushes for seven or eight years now, and the glitter has faded some what, but they're still so pretty. I bought them from B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful, Lush's late sister company who sold make up and cosmetics. Unfortunately they went in to administration a few years ago. The brushes are vegan, and like most good-quality make up brushes, they cost a small fortune. Luckily, my little sister worked at Lush at the time so her discount made everything far more affordable. Let's just say her discount got abused a lot.



Hello, reflection me! Oh, the concentration! 

I don't have a large perfume collection, mainly because I get overwhelmed by perfume shopping and like to stick with what I know and love. And that's fruity-scented perfumes like Escada and the DKNY Delicious scents. 

Along the top of the mirrors I've draped white fairy lights which I decided to keep up after Christmas. I love the ambiance of the soft lighting when it's dark and I'm curled up with a good book. I've also displayed my Alice bands along the mirrors, which is a great way to save drawer space.


I also have a masquerade mask in the corner. It reminds me of the Masquerade ball in Phantom of the Opera, which is one of my favourite musicals and films. The mask was actually marketed as a Christmas decoration but I bought it especially for my dressing table. 

The rose is a corsage that I clipped in to the feathers because I loved the contrast of colours.

My Dad finally got around to putting my jewellery hooks on the wall for me last week! I'd only been waiting fifteen months... Our walls are ridiculously difficult to drill in to, so I needed a strong pair of hands to help.

This set of hooks was another Hobby Craft find last year, and I think they cost me just £2.99! I wish I'd picked up a couple more because it looks lovely against the sky blue walls. I would love to get some for my belts, scarves, and bags, but I don't know if they still stock them. This one holds a random selection of my necklaces.


My Dad also hung this jewellery hanger up for me, which sits above the cake stand. I bought it through ASOS in Christmas 2012 when it was on sale for about a fiver. It has hooks for earrings, bracelets, and necklaces although the earring loops are currently very lonely.

I have most of my pendant necklaces hanging from this stand. Unsurprisingly, most of my necklaces are novelty designs. I'm pretty sure you'll have noticed my addiction to novelty accessories by now!

I hung a selection of my prettiest bracelets from the bracelet hooks, although this is only some of my collection. You'll be seeing more of them another day! I have a soft spot for pearls and charm bracelets.

I still have a big gap on the wall above the dressing table, which I'm planning to fill with one of these display cabinets:


I can't decide which design I like best, but they'd both be perfect for displaying some of my nail polish collection. They're far prettier than those cheap acrylic stands. I've been lusting after these two for over a year, and I hope to purchase one in the not too distant future. They're both from Dot Com Gift Shop and you can find the sweetheart display cabinet here, and the dolls house display cabinet here.


And that's my dressing table from the counter up. If you've made it this far, thanks for sticking with me! I got a little carried away.

I'll be back soon with the second part of the tour, where I'll be giving you a peek at my make up storage!

Thanks for reading!


SHARE:

8 comments

  1. So pretty! Given me lots of ideas for storing jewellery - can I ask where can you found the white display cabinets? I would love one (or both!) of them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't believe I completely forgot to add where they were from! They're from dotcomgiftshop dot com. I've edited the post and linked to them both above xx

      Delete
    2. Omg you have so many necklaces I really love them! Xx

      Delete
    3. Really? I always look at my collection and think I don't have a lot! xx

      Delete
  2. I love this, particularly the jewellery hooks. I have a very similar tiered stand I bought from Dotcomgiftshop a couple of years ago. I can't wait to get my new table (when funds allow) and do a similar post if I EVER get organised enough! x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I bloody love Dotcomgiftshop! I'm sure you'll have your dream dressing table all organised in no time! I'm looking forward to seeing it when you do! xx

      Delete
  3. It's a dressing table of joy! it's exactly what it should be, full of gorgeous pieces to play with and get dressed up with, I think it's perfect! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Sandra. :) I love that comment; 'dressing table of joy'. That's definitely what dressing tables should be xx

      Delete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig