Sunday 28 January 2024

My Goals for 2024

I had planned to write this post just after the New Year, but I've been feeling pretty rough these last couple of weeks, so as usual, I'm a little behind. I've had the worst migraine this past week, but now that it's clearing, I can finally play catch-up, so, let's do this.

Today, I'm going to share my goals for the year ahead... as boring and predictable as they probably are.

Realistically, I know I'm very unlikely to be able to achieve any big, life-changing resolutions with my health being the way it is, but I still like to set myself lots of little goals to keep myself on my toes. This year has been no different, and I guess most of my goals aren't, either. They're mostly related to reading, creative hobbies, and local places I want to visit- just little things to keep myself challenged and occupied, that I might have a chance of achieving on better pain days. I'm not up to trekking around the globe or doing extreme sports, so if reading a bunch of books and having a day out at my local zoo is the best I can hope for, I'm going to take it. It's better than doing nothing, right?

So, here are some of my goals for the year ahead.

Read At Least 40 Books

I'm hoping to read as much as possible in 2024. I've kept my reading goal for the year low at 40 books to make it achievable, but I hope I can read even more. I'm already on my 4th book of the year so far, so I'm off to a decent start. If you want to keep up with what I'm reading, come say hello on Goodreads and Storygraph.

Keep Up to Date With My Reading Journal

I started keeping a reading journal last summer, and I'm loving having a place to record what I've read, and my thoughts and favourite quotes from each book. I want to continue with it this year, and try to update it after each book read while my thoughts are still fresh in my mind. 

Do More Cross Stitching

I used to cross stitch every day, but did so little last year as I was so uninspired. So, I want to try to find my sewing mojo in 2024, and do much more stitching. It's such a relaxing hobby, and with all the modern kits and patterns, it's not just for old ladies anymore.

Finish At Least One Embroidery

I also want to improve my embroidery 'skills' and finish at least one piece of hoop art this year. I began this one for Halloween, but never got far, so that one's on my list to finish, but I also saw this cute Easter design I'm thinking of attempting.

Paint Regularly

Last year, I really enjoyed watercolour painting as a way to relax. Well, when I say 'painting' it's more like 'colouring-in colouring books with paint' as I have little artistic skill, but the main thing is, I enjoy it and find it relaxing, so who cares? I want to do more of it when I get good pain days.

Eat Healthier and Lose Weight

I hate focusing on weight and diets as all bodies are good bodies and people shouldn't be shamed for their size, but I've been feeling really unhappy in my own skin since I gained a little weight, so I need to do something about it. I don't feel like myself anymore and I hate it. For my own mental health, I want to make an effort to eat healthier and hopefully shed some of those extra pounds, but without being able to exercise regularly or vigorously like I used to pre-chronic-pain, I doubt I'm gonna lose it easily.

Get an Eye Test and New Glasses

I think my most important goal right now is getting myself down to Specsavers for an eye test and new glasses. I've been putting it off since before Covid, and I think I'm now six years over-due. My vision keeps going blurry from eye strain (at least, I hope that's all it is), and I really need to see an optician before it gets any worse. I'm going to book myself as soon as my migraine has gone. I'm really looking forward to getting some sexy new glasses after years of wearing the same pair every day.

Get My Hair Cut

I also need to prioritise a hair cut, since my hair is almost long enough to sit on again, and I currently resemble a reclusive old witch who lives in a creepy old house with her familiars, and drinks margaritas at midnight while dancing around the kitchen. (Honestly, sign me up- that sounds awesome)! It's been almost three years since my last hair cut, so it's time to get my hair cut back into a more manageable length. But first: roots.

Overhaul My Bookshelf

One of my next missions will be tackling my bookshelves. I need a bigger bookshelf, but in the meantime, I need to have a rejig, and cull some books to fit in all the beautiful copies I've bought in recent months. I don't like thinking of my poor babies stacked up on the floor. I don't want to give up any of my collection, but I think I'm going to have to as I've no place to store them. 

Have a Thorough Clear Out

Speaking of spring cleaning, I also want to have a decent tidy and clear out of other stuff, like my wardrobe, dressing table, craft supplies, and the hallway cupboard. I don't know why, but I feel the need to declutter, and let go of stuff I no longer use or need.

Take a Holiday

I wasn't able to go on holiday last year and I'm not sure if one's on the cards this year, either, but I'd love to get away to Cornwall for at least a few days this summer. Hell, I'd be happy to get away almost anywhere if it meant a change of scenery for a while.

Visit the Beach

I'd also like to spend some time at the seaside this year. It's been a year and a half since I last saw the sea, and I miss it so much. A day trip to the beach would make me so happy.

Go to The Cotswold Wildlife Park

I haven't visited my local zoo in over two years, so I want to fit in at least one visit this year. It's a really gorgeous, relaxing place to visit, and I think it's good to push myself to the point of collapse with my chronic pain every now and then to get some exercise and fresh air. 

Go to the London Aquarium

This probably sounds so random, but one thing I'd love to do is revisit the London aquarium. I last went about fifteen years ago and remember really enjoying myself, and I've wanted to go back for a while. As a big animal lover, I've always found sea life so fascinating, and it's one of the best aquariums I've ever visited. Maybe I'll have to pay it a visit for my birthday this July?

Visit the Confetti, Lavender, and Sunflower Fields

I've been wanting to visit local flower fields for the last few years, and still haven't managed it. We were planning to go to see the confetti fields near Worcester last summer, but I ended up with an awful chronic pain flare on the day we'd planned to go, so we missed it. I'm hoping for better luck this summer. I'd love to go see some colourful flower fields.

Go to the Bluebell Woods

I'd also like to take a walk in our local woods when the bluebells flower this spring. We went a little too late last year, and missed them, too. 

Do more Touristy Things in Oxford

Oxford has always been my local city, but I haven't done nearly enough exploring of its attractions or hidden gems. I'm eager to spend some days being a tourist in my own city, and visit more of its museums, galleries, beautiful old buildings etc, and maybe have a walk or a picnic down by one of the river banks where people go punting on the Thames. It's such a beautiful city.

And those are some of my little goals for 2024.

Have you set yourself any goals or resolutions for the year ahead?

You Might Also Like

Goodreads My Year in Books 2023

Looking Back on 2023

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig