Thursday 8 September 2022

Autumn Goals

I can't believe that we're already a week in to September! Where have the last eight months of the year gone?! I feel like I blinked and missed them- but that's probably because I've only left the house a handful of times all year, and haven't been out living life to the full. I honestly feel like I've missed the whole summer, and it makes me a little sad to think of all the things I've not done this year. 

But, hey; it's September and we're heading in to autumn, so it's time for fresh starts and second chances. I'm so excited for the last third of the year, and hopeful that I'm able to enjoy the next few months a little more, and make up for lost time. I'm already thinking about all the fun autumn things I want to do over the next couple of months, as well as some other less-seasonal tasks, and I thought I'd talk about some of them today to try to encourage myself to start doing them, and make myself accountable. Maybe it'll work this year.

These are some of my autumn goals:

Take a Holiday to Cornwall

Okay, it's not autumnal, but my first goal for the month is to make it through a week's holiday to Cornwall. We're going away soon, and I can't wait to be back by the sea in one of my favourite places, taking in all the familiar sights, sounds, and smells, doing some sight-seeing, and eating lots of yummy food. Some of the things I hope to do while I'm there include:

♥ Visit Perranporth Beach

♥ Explore Portreath.

♥ Go to Padstow.

♥ Spend a day at St. Ives

♥ Get Rick Stein Fish 'n' Chips

♥ Take a walk on the beach.

♥ Paddle in the sea.

♥ Sight see by tour bus.

♥ Go on a boat trip to try to spot some sea life.

♥ Dine at some cool restaurants,

♥ Find some good independent book shops to bankrupt myself in.

Take a Walk in the Woods When the Leaves Fall

I'd really like to take a walk in the woods when the leaves fall to take in all of the beautiful colours, enjoy the fresh air, and hear the leaves crunch beneath my boots. 

Crunch Through Fallen Leaves

Maybe I'm just a big child, but there's something so satisfying about the sound of dead leaves crunching underfoot, and getting buried in leaves up to your shins. I want lots of that this year, please. It reminds me of being little.

Visit a Pumpkin Patch

I've still never visited a pumpkin patch, and would love to go to one to pick out a pumpkin or two, and take a few photos for the 'gram.

Carve a Pumpkin

I wasn't well enough to carve a pumpkin last Halloween, so fingers crossed I'll be able to carve one this fright night. It's tradition.

Bake an Apple Pie

I haven't baked in ages because it hurts my back too much these days, but I miss baking something tasty from scratch, and want to try to make an apple pie this autumn. I mean, seriously- is there anything better than warming up with a freshly-baked slice of apple pie and custard straight from the oven on a chilly autumn evening? It's the best autumn comfort food ever.

Read Lots

Autumn is one of my favourite times of the year for reading. I don't know why, but there's something extra cosy about curling up under a blanket in bed and burying your nose in a good book when there's a crisp chill in the air, and an explosion of autumn colour to inspire the imagination. I want to find plenty of time to read this autumn, and work on completing my Goodreads reading goal before the busy Christmas season slows me down. I'm currently on book 32 of the year, and only have another 8 to go to hit my goal, so it should be doable if I keep up my current pace.

Go to a Fireworks Display

I'd really like to make it to a fireworks display on Bonfire Night. I haven't gone to one in over a decade now, and I miss it. I used to go every year since childhood to the one on my local RAF base, and I hear this year could be the last year they have one, as they're set to build on the playing field where it's always been held. It'll be the end of an era, so I have to go one last time.

Make my Animal Crossing Island Look All Autumnal

In case you were wondering (of course you weren't), I'm still addicted to Animal Crossing New Horizons, and I can't wait to start enjoying the autumn season in game. I've just started a new island, and I'm looking forward to making it look super autumnal with pumpkins and spooky stuff everywhere. I'm currently working on building a farm area so I can make a cute little pumpkin patch.

Make a Halloween Cross Stitch

I've never made a Halloween cross stitch before, and I think 2022 is the year to change that. I just need to find a cool pattern I like.

Watch Lots of Autumn Movies

I love a good movie marathon during the autumn months, and I'm already itching to watch all the cosy autumn movies and creepy classics. Actually, screw horror movies, I'm most looking forward to rewatching Practical Magic, You've Got Mail, Hocus Pocus, and War of the Worlds.

Visit The Cotswold Wildlife Park

I haven't paid a visit to my local zoo yet this year, which is just wrong, so I'm hoping to find time to go in the next month or so. It would be weird to go a year without making the pilgrimage, and they've just had some Pallas cat kittens that I'd love to go see. 

Take an Autumn Drive Through The Cotswolds

I live on the edge of The Cotswolds, and it's particularly beautiful during the fall, when there's a backdrop of fiery colours everywhere you turn. Sometimes we go on autumn drives through the countryside and pretty little villages just to take it all in, and it's something I'd like to do again this year. You never know what you're going to find. 

Revamp My Bookshelves

There's one thing I must do this season, and that's finally finding the spoons to reorganise my bookshelves. I've been needing to  declutter and revamp them for a couple of years, and with piles of books getting closer and closer to the ceiling, I really can't leave it much longer. I began moving my DVDs out of their cases in to a couple of folders in August, so I just need to get some boxes so I can store the empty cases, and then I'll have more rooms for books, and be able to start organising them. I need to be ruthless and get rid of anything I no longer love or can't see myself rereading, and by the time I'm done, I should have lovely, tidy bookshelves with room left over for lots of new ones.

Have a Clear Out

I also want to try to start decluttering the rest of my bedroom. I'm so over all the mess. I've got too many things that I no longer use and a lot that I've just out grown over the years, as my tastes have changed, and I've got older. I want to go through everything and sell or donate anything I no longer want or need- even if I know realistically I'll probably not get enough 'good' pain days to do it all before the New Year. What would take me an afternoon pre-chronic-pain now takes me years. I at least hope to make a start on having a clear out, even if I only manage to get through one area, like my wardrobe or under my bed.

Buy a New Pair of Ankle Boots

I desperately need a new pair of black wear-with-everything ankle boots as I wore out my last pair, so I need to buy a pair this season. Hopefully I'll actually find some I like this year, as last year's selection of wide-fit boots was crap.

Start My Christmas Shopping

I can't believe I'm saying this because I'd swear it was Christmas two minutes ago, but it's the time of year when I like to actively start Christmas shopping. It might seem early, but starting early is the only way I can afford to get my family and friends gifts, and it's the best way to spread the cost and find the best presents before all the good things sell out. Time to get on it. I want to be organised early this year.

There are more goals on my autumn bucket list, but I've waffled on enough already, so I'll stop here. Plus, this is more than enough to keep me busy for a while. I don't know if I'll be able to achieve them all, but I hope I can, and I'm going to give them all my best shot. Wish me luck!

What's on your to-do-list this autumn?

You Might Also Like

101 Autumn Blog Post Ideas

The Autumn Reading Tag

50 Things To Do This Autumn

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig