Thursday 6 May 2021

Easter on Lockdown 2021

 Hey guys!

I know it was a month ago now, but as usual, I'm running behind, so... how was your Easter?

We had a lovely Easter, despite spending it on lockdown for the second year running. Luckily, we always celebrate Easter at home because we're a bunch of hermits, so Covid didn't get to ruin our Easter. I had a relaxing weekend spending time with the family, watching movies, crafting, stuffing my face with Easter chocolate, and enjoying the Bunny Day Easter event on Animal Crossing. It was so good to have a happy, carefree Easter without Covid spoiling it in some way.

On Good Friday and Easter Saturday, I made colourful Easter crackers, and table favours ready for our family meal on Easter Sunday, while watching Easter movies. 

For the crackers, I used cracker kits from the Little Crafty Bugs, printed off some terrible Easter jokes I found online, filled them with mini chocolate bunnies and eggs, and tied them with satin ribbons in contrasting colours. I was going to do something more creative with them this year, but I was in too much pain when the time came, so I decided to let the colours do the talking and kept them simple, so I could finish quickly and minimise the pain. 

For the table favours, I filled pastel striped cone bags from Ginger Ray with a mixture of mini chocolate eggs and bunnies, and gave everyone a bag during dinner. The mint chocolate mini Lindt eggs were soooo good!

I spent Easter Sunday morning watching Steel Magnolias, which is a ritual I observe every year as it's the best Easter film ever! I also relaxed with more Animal Crossing, and let myself get creeped out by Zipper T. Bunny. That giant yellow rabbit is like something from a horror film! Things nose-dived for a bit when I somehow managed to crack one of my molars on a chocolate orange mini egg, but luckily, it didn't cause me any pain- I only noticed it later when my tongue registered a new texture. I now have a lovely little crevice between two of my teeth, while I work up the courage to go to the dentist to get it fixed. (I'm terrified of dentists). I'm just thankful that it still doesn't hurt.

After I'd gotten over the panic, I exchanged Easter eggs with my family, and helped my dog open her Easter present / latest murder victim- a corduroy Easter bunny. 

This was my Easter chocolate delivery from Tesco a month earlier. I think I might be the Easter Bunny in disguise...

I then set to work on making the dinner table look super colourful for our family Easter meal, which must have taken at least an hour of my afternoon. I was really pleased with how it turned out, and think it looked really cheerful, although it wasn't anything special. It basically looks the same every Easter. I'd love to make an epic Easter centre piece, but once the food is on the table, there isn't space for anything else.

We sat down for our Easter meal around five pm, and had a turkey roast with all the trimmings- Christmas-style, which was so delicious. It was such a gorgeous, sunny day that we had the patio doors open as we ate, with the sunshine streaming through, and music playing in the background. It was lovely. Afterwards, we had homemade blackberry and apple trifle or lemon cheesecake for dessert in front of the TV (I opted for trifle), and watched a bit of Grease on TV, which I haven't seen in yeeears. 

We had hoped my older sister and brother-in-law would join us for the meal, since the rule-of-six had just returned, and were planning to dine in the garden, but my brother-in-law had to work last minute. They visited for a bit later in the evening instead, so we were still able to spend some time with them, which was great as I hadn't seen them since Christmas. And they still got fed, so it all worked out.

We all had a lovely day, especially Rosie, who loved all the attention, turkey, and new toys. She didn't stop smiling all day, until she wore herself out so much, she fell asleep snoring on my feet after dinner.

I was completely worn out and in agony by the evening, so it was back to bed for me after that. It was my first afternoon downstairs and out of bed since Boxing Day (except for the twenty minutes I spent out of the house to get vaccinated in March), and I naturally pushed myself too much. I couldn't move for the rest of the night, or the following day. 

On Easter Monday, I was so fatigued I could barely keep my eyes open, and the day is a blur of naps, pain, and Animal Crossing. I don't think I even had the energy to watch the movies I'd planned to, but I was at least able to enjoy some turkey sandwiches and left over trifle, which helped me feel better. And of course, I also had Easter eggs from my family, so I indulged in a little Easter chocolate, too. 

This was this year's Easter loot. I only finished the last egg off yesterday!

I didn't manage to take photos of all of my Easter decorations this year, but these are some of the decorations from my bedroom. I finally bought myself an Easter tree this year to give myself a place to hang my Easter decorations- a simple white tree I bought from Hobbycraft for £15. (They do a larger version, too, and seem to have them every Easter). I think it looked great, and I can't wait to build up my Easter bauble collection so I can hang more from it in the future. I actually had it on display in a different spot in my bedroom, but it was too shadowy for photos, so I moved it to where my TV usually is to show you. The other decorations sat beside or above my TV.

And that was my Easter in a nut shell. Quiet and homely, but enjoyable just the same.

As lovely as it was, I have to admit, it was surreal spending a second Easter on lockdown. A year ago, when we celebrated our first Easter on lockdown in the early days of the pandemic in the UK, I genuinely thought it would be the only one we'd spend on lockdown, and it would be a one-bit novelty to tell stories about one day. I was sure that life would be back to normal in a few weeks, and it would all be a distant memory by now. I can't help laughing at how naïve I was! Who would've thought this life would've happened to us? 

I'm feeling hopeful that next Easter will be much more normal, at least for those of us in the UK, and we'll be able to enjoy it however we please. Let's hope we don't find ourselves celebrating a third Easter on lockdown, huh?

How did you spend the Easter weekend?

You Might Also Like

Easter on Lockdown 2020

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig