I can't believe it's September already! How did that happen?
Everyone seems to be mourning the end of Summer at the moment, but I'm actually quite excited for Autumn. I love this time of year! I can only think of one thing I really hate about Autumn, and that's the short hours of daylight. It takes me a while to get used to all that darkness, but give me a few weeks and I'll eventually start finding it kinda cosy.
There are so many great things about Autumn that cancel out the crap situation with the daylight. Here are a few of my favourite things about it...
1. The explosion of colour from the trees and foliage. Orange, yellow, mustard, tan, copper, rust, aubergine, mahogany, burgundy... everywhere looks beautiful with a backdrop of all those colours- particularly here in The Cotswolds.
2. Taking long walks just to crunch through paths covered in fallen leaves.
3. Feeling the Autumn chill on my face, while the rest of me is all snug in warm layers.
4. Curling up under a warm, cosy blanket with a good book, preferably for an entire day.
5. The smell of bonfires.
6. Wearing ankle boots with everything. Better still, buying new pairs of ankle boots to wear with everything!
7. Watching Autumnal films like You've Got Mail, Stepmom, Practical Magic, and Hocus Pocus.
8. Spending lots of time crafting during all those extra hours spent indoors. I'm in my element this time of year; I've already got a few projects on the go!
9. Finally escaping those uncomfortable summer temperatures, and no longer feeling like a lethargic sweaty mess. And actually being able to sleep at night again because the nights are cooler.
10. The return of all those gorgeous Autumn fashion colours, like forest green, burgundy, plum, teal, and mustard. I look forward to wearing them every Autumn.
11. Carving pumpkins on Halloween.
12. The smell of pumpkins, especially when they've been carved and lit.
13. Getting to eat comfort food, like shepherd's pie, lasagna, and my Mum's apple pie.
14. Going to firework displays. (Though, fireworks being set off in the street every two minutes does my head in!)
15. The smell of sparklers. They really should bottle that smell and make it in to candles!
16. Starting to prepare for and get excited for Christmas, because it's just on the horizon. Yes, I start planning and preparing for it from September. I just can't help myself!
17. Accessorising with scarves, gloves, and hats, and being cosy, comfortable and stylish at the same time.
18. Buying new school supplies. I've not been a student in over a decade, but when Autumn arrives, I'm always itching to buy new stationery and craft supplies! One bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils, please!
19. Burning candles every night because it makes the house so damn cosy.
20. Having lots of movie marathons because leaving the house is so unappealing.
21. Dressing in layers, and wearing tights with everything.
22. Crunching over frozen grass on crisp frosty mornings. It's as satisfying as popping bubble wrap!
23. Baking delicious treats like cakes and cheese scones on lazy Sunday afternoons. Bake Off, eat your heart out!
24. Curling up indoors when a thick fog has blanketed everything beyond the window, making it feel like you're cut off from the rest of the wold. I find it oddly cosy and comforting, well, until it goes on for days and starts getting claustrophobic.
25. Stopping off for a delicious (Costa) hot chocolate at every opportunity, and getting to warm cold hands on piping hot cups.
26. Changing over to deep, dark nail colours after months of delicate pastels and summer brights.
27. Taking long walks in the country, and just enjoying the views.
28. Slipping cold, tired feet in to the cosiest, warmest slippers after a long day.
29. Shopping for new season necessities like gloves, scarves, coats, jumpers, and boots.
30. Spending rainy days indoors listening to the raindrops drumming against the windows.
What are your favourite things about Autumn?