Wednesday 13 June 2012

It shouldn't work, but I like it...

I intended to share this dress for the first time on my blog as a delicate, pastel-coordinated outfit. I had a vision of lots of pale mint and yellow; perhaps with a touch of white thrown in to create a soft delicate summery look. It wasn't meant to be.

The mint belt I'd ordered from ASOS for this intention turned out to be more of a forest green which threw my whole plan out the window. Plus the sizing was tiny, so I'm sending it back. It's a shame, really, as there was also a free 59ml sample of Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Sun Lotion in my little ASOS parcel. It was only a factor 15, granted, but it smelt so good.

The hunt for pastel belts continues...

I decided to go ahead and blog about the dress anyway because I wanted to wear it...





Playing with the swishy skirt...




I know a grey and yellow colour combination isn't to everyone's taste, and the shades of colour contradict each other, but I personally love the two colours together. Even with the mint of the cardigan. And to be honest, I'm also not one for following rules.

I was going to wear white cropped leggings originally, but as the legs need shaving, and I've not been bendy enough to manage them this week, I tried the dress and cardigan with the tights, and found I liked the look. I added the turquoise keeper belt (as it has a strip of grey in it) to pull the look together, and it was the closest colour belt to mint I own. I also clipped a grey hair clip on to my cardigan. I'm not sure why; it just felt right. I've accessorised further with my giraffe necklace; a teal bangle I've had for years; and a ring I've just picked up.







The nails are a dusky greyish-lilac.

Apart from my giraffe necklace, most of the accessories used were either turquoise, teal, or grey. I picked the ring up just today (even though it's a bit too big and only fits the one finger), along with the tights.

I wanted to stay in bed and die today, but for some reason I thought it would be a wise idea to accompany Mum in to town. I don't know what was going through my head, since I'm going through a very bad spell, and knew it would only add to my pain. And, yep, I was right. I bet you could fry an egg on my back it's so hot... err, not that I would let you! It was nice to get away from these four walls for an hour, though; and £28 later I came home with two new rings, and some tights. Never allow me to browse when someone is trying on clothes!

Dress: AX Paris
Cardigan: New Look
Tights: Evans
Belt: Dorothy Perkins
Necklace: Accessorize
Ring: Evans
Bangle: Accessorize or New Look (I think)
Hair clip (used on cardi): from an accessory store in New York
Nail Polish: Ciate (free with this month's Marie Claire magazine)


SHARE:

14 comments

  1. omg you are so cute^-^
    The hair clip on the cardi is a great idea, I might have o try that sometime.
    And I like this color combination, it's not something I've seen a lot.

    I've had the same issue with Asos belts :( shame really because the ones you picked were beautiful!

    Don't know if I told you this before, but I like your wrist tattoo - I think it adds a little something to every outfit you wear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure about that... but thanks! I think hair accessories work as brooches, too- sometimes anyway! Thanks hun. I dare to be different...

      I was really surprised at how teeny they were considering I had to size up to buy them. Will just have to stick to DP.

      Aw thanks Nita. It was my first tattoo, and I love it. Although it had to be redone and then touched up a third time as the original artist made such a mess of it, and I'm still not happy with the pink stars. First thing on my list for when I'm next in London is retouching and a new tattoo. I love tattoos in general and love looking at everyone elses :)

      Delete
  2. love it love it love it !!! it just makes me want to buy it more than before you look fantastical xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop it, you're making me blush! Thanks Rachel :) I know you're on a spending ban; but I seriously think you'd look amazing in this dress! xx

      Delete
    2. if its still available after the ban I'm having it !! i looked at the giraffe jumpsuit in asda test its g21 so only up to a 20 so not big enough for me but i really like the print it looked super long though so you might need to take it up if you buy it unless your tall i just assume as my twin you are also a dwarf! xx

      Delete
    3. Yay! I'm sure there'll still be some left. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Get it in navy, too! Aw that sucks. I am considering getting it soon (skint now tho). I;m your not-quite-a-dwarf twin; I'm about 5'6", I think, so not a shorty and not tall. xx

      Delete
  3. Oh my, this is so adorable! The dress looks amazing on you, Louise! And I love yellow and gray together too, but never think to wear them together. Everything about this is lovely, and I know you were wanting a pastel look, but I think it's just as pretty with the different shades of blue you added. :)

    www.diyfatshion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dani :). I've seen yellow and grey used together for home colour schemes a lot, but not so much in the fashion world but thought I'd just go with it. I'll save the pastel look for another day. Thanks hun :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely, lovely dress. I am not sure yellow would work on me, but it looks fantastic on you!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linz :). I think yellow would look lovely with your blonde hair! xx

      Delete
  5. that is one fabulous dress - i love the cardi too, i have had a love affair with that colour of cardi for too long! - great idea using the hair clip as a brooch, and i do loove the ring - have just realised, is this your rita hayworth dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria :). It's been a while since I've had some mint in my wardrobe. I was trying to be creative as I'm low on grey accessories. Yes, the dress is identical to the navy one I showed you all last week (just yellow) :)

      Delete
  6. what an amazing dress! it's a shame that belt doesn't look how it's supposed to (i'm sure the picture you posted of it from the website looked completely different!?) but the rest of the outfit is amaaaazing, love it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah :). This belt is a completely different one. The ASOS one turned out to be a dark forest green, not mint, so I ended up trying the dress with this one from Dorothy Perkins. I'll be on the hunt for pastel belts elsewhere. Thanks hun xx

      Delete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig