Saturday 3 January 2015

New Year, New Resolutions

I don't usually set myself big New Year's resolutions because in the past I've rarely seen them through. Instead, I prefer to set myself lots of small attainable goals in the form of a 101 Things in 1001 Days list and similar kinds of lists. However, this New Year I'm feeling unusually ambitious, motivated, and inspired, and hopeful for the year ahead (maybe I'm ill??), and for the first time, I've set myself a big list of goals I plan to work towards in 2015! Here are just some of them...

Blogging

1. Reply to all unanswered messages.
Firstly, I am going to sit down and reply to all of my lovely blog comments and emails. I got so behind with them in 2014 that it became harder and harder to catch up, and it all got away from me. I'm mortified and I know I've been a terrible blogger over the last year.

2. Keep on top of all comments, messages and emails during 2015 after I've checked off goal 1.
Once I've caught up, I am going to do my best to keep on top of all comments and messages in 2015, with the aim to reply to everything within a couple of days- unless I'm away from home or my health prevents me from blogging.

3. Become a better organised blogger.
I need to become better organised, with more posts scheduled in advance to take the pressure of when I don't feel up to blogging, or come down with a case of writer's block. I need to use my time better so I can leave fewer days in between posts, and just become a better blogger overall.

4. Blog more outfit posts and go back to my roots!
I'm going to do my best to share more outfits on the blog this year. I only managed about twenty OOTD posts in 2014, which is so pitiful- especially considering I created this blog to share my outfits! It was unavoidable because of my health, but I hope to push through the pain as much as possible to go back to the roots of my blog.

5. Share more manicures and make up looks.
I also aim to go back to featuring more manicures and make up looks like I did back in 2012. I barely blogged either in 2014, even though my nails are always painted, and I wore some gorgeous make up.

6. Improve on self promotion.
I plan to work on promoting my blog posts better and regularly on social media, and to try to have more confidence in my work so that self-promotion isn't so scary. I need to have more faith in myself.

7. More interaction with you guys!
I'd like to interact with all you lovely people more through social media, and to better connect myself with the blogging community. 

8. Use Instagram regularly.
I'm also going to do my best to post snippets of my day on Instagram at least every few days, if not daily. I'm not sure how well I'll manage this one without getting out and about a bit more, though...

Health

9. Give physiotherapy and other hospital treatments everything I've got.
I'm determined to put 110% in to physiotherapy and any other therapy or treatments I'm given, so whatever happens, whether I get better or not, I'll know I've given everything my best shot. At least I'll be able to say I tried. 

10. Work on balance and re-strengthening my legs.
I need to do my best to strengthen my legs. Three years plus of being house-bound, combined with strong medication, and constant pain have all taken their toll on my legs. They're so weak they shake constantly, and my balance is also shot to hell. I'm going to work on balance exercises, and if it's safe for me to do so, do self-hydrotherapy at my local pool. Time for a chat with my new physiotherapist, I think.

11. Try to get out of bed more.
The constant pain from all my spinal problems is so crippling that I struggle to stay out of bed for long, and can often be stuck in it for days on end, only leaving it for bathroom breaks. It's no way to live. I'm going to push myself to get out of bed as often as I can, and to stay out of it for as long as I can bare.

12. Get out more.
I'm going to do my best to get out and about more, even if it's just in to the garden. I need fresh air, Vitamin D, and fun experiences for the sake of my sanity! I want some sort of a life back.

13. Continue to push myself through the pain and to my limits.
To achieve 11 and 12, I need to work harder on pushing myself through the pain. It's something I already do on a daily basis, but I need to try to keep pushing myself to my limits and not just allow myself to succumb to the pain so easily.

14. Do my best to eat healthier.
In 2014, my body wasn't the healthiest. I suffered a lot of stomach complaints from food intolerances on a regular basis, and the smell of a lot of dishes left me feeling nauseated, which I think is probably to do with my medication. It left me with a limited diet, and I mostly got by on just one meal a day throughout the year. This wasn't a healthy way for me to live, even when I was eating healthy, nutritious food. I also gained a little weight in 2014 (being bed ridden makes that pretty unavoidable), which has left me feeling a bit crap about myself. I've no intention of going on a crash diet to drop loads of weight, but I would like to lose those extra pounds that joined me last year. I want to take better care of myself; to eat healthier, with more nutritious food, less of the foods that make me ill, and to eat more than one meal a day.

15. Work on improving my body confidence.
I feel like I've taken a few steps back on my quest for body-confidence these last few months, but I plan to continue working on it. I especially need to work on baring my legs in public this summer without feeling so self-conscious and worried about being laughed at.


Financial

16. Get out of my over draft and stop using it for non-essentials.
This was one of my goals of 2014, and I failed 100%. I'm going to work on clearing it, and stop dipping in to it for things I don't actually need. It's become such a bad habit and I need to stop.

17. Pay off my Dotty P store card.
Like number fifteen, I'm going to clear the small existing debts, and stop using it for non essentials- especially if I can't afford to pay the bill off within a fortnight.

18. Stop shopping to make myself happy.
I need to curb my habit of shopping (especially impulsively online) as a way to fill the holes in my life. I've come to realise that I buy lovely things to cheer myself up when I'm blue, lonely, and struggling with the pain, and as a way to cope with the hand I've been dealt in life. It needs to stop!

19. Pick up birthday and Christmas presents throughout the year.
I plan to spread the cost and pick up presents over the course of the year to save myself the financial stress of buying everything in one go, and also so I won't feel as disorganised as I did this Christmas. It stressed me out big time! I've added six gifts to the present stash this week, so I'm off to a good start with this one already!


Creative

20. Learn how to crochet a blanket.
I've wanted to learn how to make a granny-square blanket for years, so I should stop holding off, and give it a shot this year!

21. Improve my photography and photo editing.
I'm one of those people who almost always has a camera in hand because I just love taking photos wherever I go. My photography has definitely improved a lot since starting this blog three years ago, but I want to work on improving it this year. I don't have a fancy DSLR, just a decent point-and-shoot with manual settings I want to learn how to use. (I rely on the auto button waaaay too much). I'd also like to work on improving my photo editing and learn a few tricks for best results.

22. Get off my laptop more.
This is pretty self-explanatory; spend less time on my laptop and more time living in the real world. I failed at this for much of 2014, but I'm going to make the effort to spend more time being present. I also want to disconnect more so I can spend more time reading, creative writing, and crafting instead of sitting on my laptop all day.


Adventures

23. Go on more adventures.
I love to visit new places, sight-see, and explore, so whenever I feel up to a couple of hours up and about, I'd like to spend that energy outdoors visiting new places local to me.

24. Celebrate my 30th Birthday.
This July, I'll be turning 30, which is something I'm not particularly looking forward to. I haven't achieved anything in life. To save myself from having a mental breakdown on my birthday, I think I need to mark it somehow- not just by spending the day stuck in bed. While I can't celebrate in style in New York as I'd hoped a few years ago, I like the idea of spending the night in London, going for afternoon tea somewhere fancy, and catching a show at the theatre- or doing something along those lines. A big party or clubbing isn't my thing (I'm shy, introverted, and hate being the centre of attention), and I will only be able to cope with a few hours away from the hotel bed, but I want to at least do something nice to cushion the blow of turning thirty. I never celebrated my 18th or 21st properly and I've always regretted it; I don't want to look back on my thirtieth the same way.

25. Make it to At Least One Concert and Musical.
These are two of my favourite things to do, so I hope to see at least one of each, but as many as health and finances allow. I miss this part of my old life.

I've never felt so ambitious at the turn of a new year before, so I've surprised even myself with this long list of goals! I could keep adding more, but I think you've all suffered enough with this long post of twenty-five!

If you've made it through all of my ramblings, you're awesome, and thanks for sticking with me!

Have you got any goals for the year ahead?

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. These are really great resolutions. I wrote some vague resolutions on my blog, but I'm not putting too much pressure on myself about them :). I'm 30 this year too, I have no idea what I'm going to do! I'm not big on parties either, so maybe a musical in London. I hope you will get to a concert or two this year xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fab and v ambitious!!! I don't really have any goals except getting to bed earlier, stop procrastinating and try to be more motivated. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. 18 and 19. Yes yes yes!

    Good luck with it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great goals! I hope you can go to London for your birthday - I didn't do much for my 30th either and I regret it a bit. I am determined to have an amazing 40th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definately need to stop impulse shopping ive not do as much of it recently but it's a terrible habbit xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig