Monday 23 December 2013

Music Monday: A Very Merry Christmas Playlist 2013

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas in my house without some great Christmas tunes to soundtrack the season. They have the power to really get me in the festive spirit, and throughout December will accompany everything from decorating the tree to wrapping up presents. No other genre of music will do in the run up to Christmas. Can you imagine trimming the tree with your family to Chester Bennington screaming his lungs out? As much as I might enjoy that, the rest of my family just wouldn't!

So, today, I'm going to share some of my personal favourite Christmas songs to help get you in the mood for Christmas! These are all fantastic festive tunes, and I think there's a song in here for everyone. Enjoy!

Greg Lake- I Believe in Father Christmas


I Believe in Father Christmas has to be in my top five favourites, and it's a song I've loved since my childhood. The instrumental music is lovely and so provoking; something I associate with the run up to Christmas, decorating the house, and Christmas Eve excitement. It reminds me of car journeys to see relatives on Christmas Eve; watching out for Christmas lights; and a million other memories I've made over the years. It never gets old.

Darlene Love- All Alone on Christmas


All Alone on Christmas was a song I discovered through Home Alone 2 when my age was just a single figure, and you might recognise it from Love Actually, too. It's one of the more energetic, jazzy Christmas songs, which I've always found to be perfect for car journeys in December and for singing along to! It's hands down one of my all time Christmas favourites.

Ronan Keating- It's Only Christmas


Call me biased as I'm a big Ronan fan, but I adore his Christmas album 'Winter Songs', and in particular one of his own songs 'It's Only Christmas'. It's such a beautiful tune, and his vocals are so haunting they make the hair stand up on my neck and arms each time I hear it. And this is coming from a person who usually detests new Christmas songs!

The Pogues- Fairy Tale of New York


I don't know a single person who doesn't like this old Christmas classic, and it's easily one of my all time favourites. While everyone else is singing about peace and harmony, presents and Santa, The Pogues bring us a more realistic portrayal of Christmas of reminiscing about the good times of days gone by and having a slagging match! What's not to love?

Chris de Burgh- A Spaceman Came Travelling



I can't put my finger on why I love this song so much, but it's one of my all time favourite Christmas songs. It's actually not about aliens, but Jesus, in case you're wondering. It's lovely and mellow, and it wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Shakin Stevens- Merry Christmas Everyone


This tune reminds me of a life time of Christmas memories. It's a song I've listened to every year for at least twenty years, and it's always playing when we decorate the tree. It's such a fun song, and perfect for Christmas parties and get-togethers.

Slade- Merry Christmas Everybody


I don't know how famous this song is outside of the UK and Ireland, but over here it's one of the most loved and celebrated of Christmas songs. It's a song which makes us all scream out 'IT'S CHRISSSSSTTTMASSSSSSSSSS!' in true Noddy Holder style at least once each December. Don't pretend you've never done it!

Brenda Lee- Rockin Around The Christmas Tree


Another tune I suspect I first heard through Home Alone back in the early nineties. When I was growing up, we only had the Mel & Kim version at home, and I always wished we had a copy of this version, too.

Luther Vandross- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas


Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is one of my favourite festive songs, and I like most versions from Judy Garland's to Ronan Keating's. I have about half a dozen versions on my iPod. I've chosen to include Luther Vandross's rendition as it's likely to be less well known to many of you, but it shouldn't be! His version is beautiful and well worth a listen.

Jona Lewie- Stop the Cavalry


I'm not sure why I love this song so much, but I have done for most of my life. It's different to your average Christmas tune, but at the same time, it's still has to be one of the most festive.

Home Alone- Somewhere in my Memory


Christmas would not be Christmas without a few watches of Home Alone and a listen to the soundtrack. It's been a part of my Christmases for as long as I can remember, and I'm sure it has been for many of you, too. Is there anything more festive than that iconic Home Alone theme tune, and a little boy outsmarting two thieves with (disturbingly) imaginative ideas for violence? I think not! I also love the versions of Star of Bethlehem on the album.

Boney M- Mary's Boy Child


I'm not religious, but I've always loved Mary's Boy Child by Boney M, and it reminds me of home on Christmas morning with the smell of turkey and stuffing roasting in the oven. It's one of the few songs that focuses on the real story of Christmas, instead of Santa Claus or snow that most are based around.

Lieutenant  Kije-Troika


Troika is an incredible instrumental tune and the most festive piece of music ever made. I could listen to this track in the middle of a summer heat wave and instantly feel festive. I'm positive everyone will know this instrumental song, and this is my favourite version, which I've been playing every year since '94 when my Mum won a Christmas album with it on.

Boyzone- The Hour Before Christmas


Boyzone have released their first Christmas song in their twenty year history on their new album BZ20, and although it's not the most uptempo or the most festive carol I've ever heard, it's a gorgeous winter tune. I found myself loving it a lot more after seeing it performed live recently, and this is a video I personally took of them singing it in Bournemouth on the 5th.

Paul McCartney- Wonderful Christmastime


Wonderful Christmastime is a great uplifting Christmas song, and instantly puts me in a cheerful mood whenever I hear it. It reminds me of shopping on Oxford Street on the first of December one year, and how manic the crowds were that day. Crazy times!

Elton John- Step in to Christmas


I'm not usually much of an Elton John fan, but I really enjoy listening to Step in to Christmas. It's another that brings back those happy childhood memories and still plays a part in each year's festivities.

Santa Claus the Movie- Christmas Rhapsody


Santa Claus the Movie- Every Christmas Eve


Santa Claus the Movie came out the year I was born, and I grew up on the film, watching it multiple times each year in the run up to Christmas. It's still one I have to watch a few times each Christmas, and the soundtrack makes me feel so nostalgic and Christmassy. There's something about the opening song and theme tune 'Every Christmas Eve' that brings back that Christmas excitement from my childhood, and unearths a life time of memories. I also really love the rhapsody music from the middle of the film when there's a montage of Santa delivering toys to kids over centuries of time. Perfect Christmas soundtrack, in my opinion. Who agrees?

She & Him- Rockin Around the Christmas Tree


I adore Zooey Deschanel and her band She & Him, and their Christmas album is perfection. One of my favourites off the album is a cover of Brenda Lee's 'Rockin Around the Christmas Tree', which is lovely and mellow, but so festive.

Wham- Last Christmas


This song needs no introductions. It's a Christmas classic, and I never tire of it.

The Calling- Carol of the Bells


The Calling were one of my favourite bands when I was at college over a decade ago, and I still love their two albums today. A few years ago, I discovered they'd recorded their version of Carol of the Bells, and I'm still totally in love with it and Alex Band's gorgeous vocals.

And finally...

Chris Rea- Driving Home For Christmas


This song actually does remind me of driving home for Christmas! We'd always have it on in the car on the way to and from our annual family Christmas Eve party at my Auntie's, so I associate it with those long drives through the countryside and small towns, watching out for Christmas lights and getting excited for Christmas.

I'm sure feeling excited for Christmas after putting this post together!

What's your favourite Christmas song or songs?


SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Such great choices! :-) x

    http://lornaswishingwell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've listened to a lot of these tonight. Thank you & Merry Christmas!! x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh such a perfect playlist Louise! I hope you have an amazing Christmas! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby loves Xmas songs he plays them to me especially let it snow which he loves to sing at the top of his voice ! Xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig