Wednesday 25 December 2013

12 Days of Christmas Tag

Merry Christmas one and all!

Well, the 25th is finally here and I just want to wish all my lovely readers a very Merry Christmas! I hope that you all have a fantastic time with your loved ones over the next few days, and get spoilt rotten! Eat, drink, be merry, party, relax, have fun, and most importantly, enjoy the quality time with your family and friends. I know I will. If you don't celebrate Christmas, then I wish you a happy Wednesday and a great week what ever you're up to.

I want to say, I really feel for the people travelling home for the holidays who are stranded at airports and train stations due to the crazy weather, and those whose homes have flooded or lost power throughout the UK. I can't imagine what they must be going through, and I sincerely hope that your Christmas hasn't been ruined because of the horrendous storms. Stay safe, everyone, and let's hope the flooding doesn't get worse, than it already is.

Moving on from the more serious agenda, I've got a light-hearted Christmas-themed post for you today. I've answered another fun Christmas tagged post called the 12 Days of Christmas Tag; something that can be read if you're stealing away ten minutes from the chaos. I saw it on Laura Jane's blog Whimsy is Forever, but I'm not sure where it first originated. Enjoy.

1. What is your favourite Christmas memory?

I think my favourite memories are driving to and from our annual Christmas family gathering. Singing along to Christmas songs; looking out for Christmas lights; and feeling the excitement of Christmas morning being just hours away. Or the year my older sister and I were so eager to start Christmas Day that we turned the hands of a clock forward and tried to convince our parents it was time to get up... it was about 3am, and their alarm clocks betrayed us! I love remembering the silly little moments like that.


2. What one toy/gift to you remember from all your Christmases?

Aside from the Pound Puppies, the Sylvanian Families, and the Polly Pockets, I mostly remember the year my sisters and I were finally given a Sega Mega Drive. It must've been 1994, and until then the only computer we had in our home was a very old Commodore that took about an hour and a half to load up and was played on a black and white TV! We didn't have any of the modern gadgets, so being given that games console between us was a momentous moment for us. We were ridiculously excited and in awe at the 'amazing' quality of the animations, and spent the morning crowded round the thing, taking turns playing The Lion King game. I don't usually consider gadgets to be my favourite childhood toys, but it was certainly the most memorable present we were given.

3. What do you/your family do for Christmas?

We have a big family get together just before Christmas, where we catch up with my Dad's side of the family, and family friends, which is always lovely and very festive. Christmas Day is spent at home with my immediate family. My older sister and brother-in-law usually still join us for the afternoon. We open presents together; laugh 'til our sides hurt; sit down for a turkey dinner together; eat; drink; watch a film or two and play a couple of board games. It's also my Mum's birthday on Christmas Day so we celebrate that, too!

4. How many days before Christmas does your decorating start?
We usually decorate the house for Christmas a day or two in to December as I like to have as much time to enjoy the decorations as possible. This year we didn't start hanging the decorations until the 7th; which is the latest it's ever been done in this house!

5. What is on your favourite Christmas menu?

I love the traditional roast turkey with all the trimmings! You can't beat it. In our house that includes sage and onion stuffing (made with sausage meat; family recipe); roast and mashed potatoes; pigs in blankets (sans blankets for me); broccoli; parsnips; butternut squash or sweet potato; carrots, and gravy. We have a few other veggies I don't eat, such as Brussel sprouts, and  condiments I don't care for. One Christmas we had some goose to try, as well, which was delicious, so I'd have to add in a little goose meat as well. And for dessert my Mum's apple pie with custard, or my blackberry and apple trifle would be perfect.


6. Have you ever had a white Christmas?

The view from my bedroom window in December 2010.
Once, back in 2010. It was the coldest winter I've ever known, with temperatures down to minus ten in the day time and several snow falls before Christmas. We had about a foot of snow come down about a week before Christmas and because it was so cold, it didn't disappear after a day or two like it normally does here in southern England; even the roads remained coated. There were icicles hanging from every building and every tree, some as long as my arms; I hadn't seen an icicle since I was very young and even then they were tiny! Christmas came, and we awoke to see deep snow still blanketing everything, and icicles hanging along every window; it was so surreal and magical! I hadn't had a white Christmas before, or seen so much snow; generally our Christmases have blue skies and sunshine, and our snow only fell between February-March! It was so beautiful, and we took advantage of it and went on a walk after dinner. 

7. What traditions will you continue with your future family?

I'd like to keep the tradition of decorating the house together whilst listening to the festive album "100% Christmas" (we've done this since '94!), and having a tree covered in ornaments that are meaningful instead of fashionable. I'll continue travelling to our big family gathering through towns and villages lit up with Christmas lights. I'll always continue making a few particular family recipes each year; going to see the Christmas lights being turned on; baking on Christmas Eve; and playing board games on Christmas Day... I'd like to keep so many of our traditions. I love them all.

8. Can you name Santa's reindeer? (without googling!)

A beautiful reindeer that lives at my local zoo, taken by me in 2011.




Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen. And Rudolph, of course! Did I miss any out?

9. It's 5am on Christmas morning: where will you be found?

You'll find me in my bed, possibly still awake, like last year.

10. Did you ever sneak a peak at your Christmas presents?

I know I did a few times when I was little, but I haven't done that for a very long time. It spoils the fun! I'd rather be surprised when I open them on Christmas Day.

11. What would you love to get for Christmas this year?

I haven't got my heart set on anything this Christmas. I'd just like to spend some quality time with my family, and perhaps find a way to fix my back issues.

12. What does Christmas mean to you?

To me, Christmas is a time for spending with family and friends, and for showing the ones you love that you care. It's a time to spoil my favourite people with gifts I've put a lot of thought in to, because I think they deserve it. It's a time for giving, and a time to think of those who are less fortunate than myself. A time to be thankful for what I have, when others out there have nothing. It's the time of year to laugh and have fun and to celebrate! 

Merry Christmas everybody! I hope you have a great one. If you don't celebrate Christmas, I hope you have a lovely day, what ever you're up to!



SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Hope you have a fantastic day hunny :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, I enjoyed reading your post a lot! X X X

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig