Thursday 7 June 2012

"What's with all the polka dots?"

Or so my younger Sister asked when I showed her my new navy dress from AX Paris earlier this afternoon. My reply? "You know me; I like polka dots!" She followed the remark with a compliment, so I'll ignore her amusement at my steadily growing collection of dotty dresses.


I originally planned to purchase this dress in yellow, but after several hours of uncertainty before I clicked the check-out button, I decided to be practical and buy the dress I could wear all year round, and the one that would probably stay fashionable for many years to come (so I got the navy). My practical head doesn't show itself all that often, but not knowing when I'll next be fit to work I need to act like a boring grown-up and find a few versatile pieces.

Well, all that decision-making time was wasted. I fell in love with the shape and style of this dress immediately, and quickly hopped back online to make the yellow dress mine, too. Oh well...


This dress is absolutely beautiful in every way. The fabric is super soft (100% cotton); which makes a change from all the nasty static polyester that I keep coming across, and it's lined, too! I sized up because of the fitted waist-band to give myself a bit of room to move and breathe. It'll need a couple of alterations on top, but I love the fit. It's comfortable; there's nothing I hate more than tugging at my clothes all day because I feel uncomfortable from the tight-fit. It's also a good length for me; it pretty much falls right on the knee on me (I think I'm about 5'6").

I'd never ordered from AX Paris before but I was impressed with the dress and with the delivery. I ordered in the early hours of Wednesday morning, and it was delivered early today! I didn't even select next day delivery so I'm very impressed. The dress was a little creased in the packaging, but I guess that's often the case with stored clothing.


It has a lovely full skirt...



And a knee length navy lining...


Outtakes...




I accessorised with a pair of tan, low-wedge sandals I picked up last year. I realised I haven't even worn them yet; the labels are still on the bottom. They're really comfy, though, so will have to give them some attention this summer. I'm also wearing a camel coloured keeper belt, (though it appears tan in these photos), a trio of wooden bangles I've owned for years, a pair of purple rose earrings, and a floral beaded necklace.

I'm also wearing a yellow cardigan, but it's a little big so I took it off to show the dress to you. I'll apologise for the quality of these photos; they weren't coming out so well. I had to alter a few with filters to make them sharable.

Dress: AX Paris
Shoes: Dorothy Perkins
Belt: Dorothy Perkins
Bangles: New Look
Necklace: New Look
Earrings (not pictured): Accessorize
Nail Polish: Barry M

Have you ordered from AX Paris before? What did you think?



P.S. The palm-print dress my parents ordered for my birthday came today, and it's gorgeous. I'll be featuring it in an OOTD in a few weeks time!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. i am loving the dress i so wanna get some polka dots in my life but never find the right ones xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'd definitely recommend this one for you to try xx

      Delete
  2. oh, i adore this outfit as always! although i must admit i'd have said to get the yellow one, only because it would scream summer to me! maybe you could try this with some bright yellow ballet flats/hairflowers so you still have that hint of summer :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was planning to get it originally, but thought the navy would be more versatile. But now I will have both! I love wearing yellow in summer. I definitely think hair flowers will be in order; I don't have yellow flats but I think it would work well. I'll probably start by pairing it with white xx

      Delete
  3. I love it it's great on you! Not surprised you got the yellow too I ordered from ax Paris the other week and delivery was super fast and I didn't pick next day either xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I could totally see you in this dress, too. I can't get enough of yellow clothes. They're so cheerful. Really impressed with the service so far xx

      Delete
  4. polka dots are so classic and timeless - and that dress is sooo pretty on you - you could even put a full petticoat under (i'm a sucker for a twirly frock with extras!!) the yellow would still look amazing on you- it would look iconic with your lovely red hair - like a modern rita hayworth x ps i now have to shop at ax paris (i havent ever heard of it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Maria. I would love to wear a petticoat under my dresses; I love that look! Can't justify buying one right now, though. You're far to kind Maria; you're making me blush. I think it's a fairly new brand but they have some lovely stuff :)

      Delete
  5. Once again, you look super cute! I agree with Maria, I'm curious what this would look like with a petticoat - I just love full skirts so much!
    It's a good thing imo that it's cotton, I'm sick of Polyester, too, especially in the summer. Congrats on such a fab buy, can't wait to see the yellow one on you!
    And great effect on the 4th picture! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Nita :) I'd love to wear petticoats under my dresses but I can't afford one right now. I'm always eyeing the Domino Dollhouse ones up. Polyester is just a big pain in the back side, I find anyway. It always goes static on me. I'm really looking forward to getting the yellow one. Thanks hun :)

      Delete
  6. That dress is so adorable! I absolutely love polka dots as wells! I don't think I would be able to pull off a polka dot dress though!

    Stop by and check out my blog giveaway! :)
    http://dawndugong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lovely dress, I have to say I have never really looked at AX Paris before, there used to be some bits in my local New Look and on first glance it all looked a bit cheap and polyester so I never bothered to investigate further. But good to know they do such pretty things in natural fibres!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig